VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My research suggests that this chipset works with ECC memory. But I'm also reading of people using registered memory but that part is unclear.

Can anyone confirm if this chipset supports one or both of these features? I'm looking at using ECC memory with my ASUS P2B motherboard instead of regular SDRAM. If registered memory is supported, will it be more stable with 256MB sticks (I believe this is the maximum) with 3 or 4 sticks at 133 Mhz or when over clocked?

Reply 1 of 3, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have any first-hand experience with reg. ECC on 440BX, but here is an extensive guide that might answer some of your questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20180103032407/ht … ram_bx_faq.html

My retro computers

Reply 2 of 3, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, 440BX supports ECC. I have Dell GX1 in stock condition, it comes with ECC from the factory.
p.s. Here is a screenshot of ASUS P2B manual, it supports 72bit SDRAM, that is ECC memory:

mem.jpg
Filename
mem.jpg
File size
85.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 3, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two sets of dual-rank double-sided 256MB of dual-rank double-sided PC133 memory; one matched pair and one matched set of three. All of them work fine up to 512MB but adding a third stick results in only 256MB of memory being recognized. With just two sticks all 512MB is recognized.

After some experimentation I found that this was caused by the FSB being 133 Mhz. If I drop the FSB to 124 Mhz or lower then all 768MB to becomes available.

I'm guessing that a set of registered memory would allow these higher capacities on the faster bus speed as it would decouple the memory from the FSB.

Actually... further testing has revealed that the full 768MB is visible to the BIOS regardless of the FSB if I perform a warm boot. The value is always reduced at the higher FSB speeds on a cold boot.

I wonder if this is related:

http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-dsvio.htm