VOGONS

First post, by ToolDragoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon.
I have been colecting old computer parts and finally built a windows 98 machine, a good 775 motherboard with agp. But I have a couple of problems: I have the Ati Radeon 9600XT, but the fan is dead.
30-front.jpg
Buying replacement+ shipping is really expensive, so I put a big one over the cooler to replace it (a 40mm, I think, with a couple of screws).
And I'm trying to install an Aureal Vortex AU8810 and cant install it on the first pci, and windows detect it, so I can't use it for dos titles and other programs. Tried the drivers from the vogons driver library, but those are for the 8830.
My questions are: Can I replace the cooler with a cheaper one? Similar to this one?
C261-6046-A.jpg?yocs=2m_2E_

Or could leave it without the fan and put a 120mm near with a stand? Like this one
Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan.jpg

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the some mistakes, english isn't my first language.

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ToolDragoon wrote on 2021-09-12, 23:33:

And I'm trying to install an Aureal Vortex AU8810 and cant install it on the first pci, and windows detect it,

what do you mean. I realize that english is not your 1st language, but the A3d doesn't have to go into the 1st slot. If windows doesn't detect it in other slots its likely because you have IRQ sharing issues. You should try disabling onboard devices in the BIOS.

Reply 2 of 5, by ToolDragoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply.
I attached a picture of my cooling/sound card situation.
For windows software, the sound card works without a problem. But for DOS, can't do sound blaster emulation, it needs to be on the first PCI. Tried the drivers from Philscomputerlab, but those are for the Aureal Vortex 2 (AU8830).
So my only solutions are: change the cooler for a smaller one with fan. Or put a 120mm at the side (somehow).

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/intel.html

vortex 1 reference drivers

Open asp4mmed.inf
Find the [AspenOverides.Addreg] section
Remove the ; infront of HKR,Config,DisableBusDetection,1,1
Install the drivers.