VOGONS

First post, by TSteege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Needing some help. I have a dead Tandy 2100 Model 10 and have been trying for some time to revive it. I purchased new power supply thinking that was the issue but it is not. When I plug P9 into the motherboard, the fan on the PS spins and the motherboard will beep, but when I plug the P8 either alone or with the P9 it does absolutely nothing. I have removed all cards and memory but to no avail. I removed the MB and visually I can not see any dark spots or rust, so I am asking to see if anyone here has a place I should start looking as far as voltage points or impedance tests I should perform. Thank you in advance to anyone with suggestions.

Reply 1 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short on one of the pins on P8 to another? Assuming the pinout is the same as an AT supply, check the resistance on the motherboard P8 connector between pin 3 (+12V) & 6 (GND), and 4 (-12V) & 6. Any pictures of the motherboard?

Reply 2 of 9, by TSteege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I added the fix by adding a 3v button battery to the RTC, but to no avail. She still won't work.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the PSU fan spins up when P8 is disconnected, but doesn't spin up with P8 is connected, then there's a chance that the PSU is detecting a short on either the +12V (yellow) or -12V (blue). I'd disconnect P8, then on the motherboard measure the resistance between pin 3 (where the yellow wire connects) and pin 6 (where one of the black cables connect), then between pin 4 (where the blue wire connects) and pin 6. It's possible that one of the tantalum capacitors has failed short (maybe one of those C11-C14) and needs replacing.

Reply 6 of 9, by TSteege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-09-20, 10:26:

If the PSU fan spins up when P8 is disconnected, but doesn't spin up with P8 is connected, then there's a chance that the PSU is detecting a short on either the +12V (yellow) or -12V (blue). I'd disconnect P8, then on the motherboard measure the resistance between pin 3 (where the yellow wire connects) and pin 6 (where one of the black cables connect), then between pin 4 (where the blue wire connects) and pin 6. It's possible that one of the tantalum capacitors has failed short (maybe one of those C11-C14) and needs replacing.

Finally got back to this project. The resistance from pin 3 to pin 6 is 0, and between 4 to 6 is does seem to be working. I will see about getting some replacement caps.

When I check ohms on each of the caps you talked about. One reads 0 so I am thinking it is the dead one. I do not know what to order, it reads 106 and below that reads +16K. I really appreciate all your help!

Thank you again!

Reply 9 of 9, by TSteege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
20211002_165927.jpg
Filename
20211002_165927.jpg
File size
946 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

SUCCESS!!! I was able to use the new "hack" I did on the Dallas Realtime Clock and changed out one of the 10uF capacitors and it LIVES! Thank you again to everyone, especially @Snufkin here on Vogons.org. Now to get the HD to boot, I think it is dead, but I do have a spare IDE that should work. Thanks again, everyone!

Attachments