VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My question was how were modern cases painted, to achieve that slightly gritty, semi-gloss finish , probably more to the matte side, and that was the reply I got. I thought maybe just maybe the person knew what they were talking about.

The powder coated stuff I've seen, mostly auto rims and such, had a similar finish to modern computer casres. I have 5 or 6 that were made in the last 5 years and they all have a similar finsih. I guess you can vary a powder coat finsih like regular paint. Yeah, dopey to assume that they all could have been powder coated. Unless the Chinese have developed a cost effective method. Doubt it. Perhaps it's a variant of the sloppy nozzle method, yet to be attempted 😀. It just spits more finely ... ? Or maybe there is a fine grit (or toiletries) mixed into the paint. What do I know.

Anyhoo I need approximate 6 more hours in a day to play w/all my crappola. And that's not coming off my sleepy time. Sleep is like a narcotic to me.

Reply 22 of 28, by informatyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I sprayed one of my case. It was very yellow, pic don't show how bad it was. It did make case brilliant white again, but the surface is not nice when touching and in close it seems like it's too much ink in some places. It's hard to make it right. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Attachments

• before.PNG
    Filename
    before.PNG
    File size
    250.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • after.PNG
    Filename
    after.PNG
    File size
    586.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 23 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
informatyk wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:37:

I sprayed one of my case. It was very yellow, pic don't show how bad it was. It did make case brilliant white again, but the surface is not nice when touching and in close it seems like it's too much ink in some places. It's hard to make it right. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

What kind of paint did you use? How many layers?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 24 of 28, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 15:06:

Chris had it right I think, they just twiddle the nozzle on the spray gun so it shoots bigger blobs, or turn the pressure down so it doesn't atomise it right.

This is how we use to do it when we sprayed prototype cases/servers we made for IBM. We had to make the finishes match very close to what it looked like on production products or they would get rejected and we would need to try again.

Reply 25 of 28, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my other hobby of model railways people use a spray paint product called Plastikote Suede to give texture for modelling stone or especially concrete surfaces (like bridges and roads).

It seems like availability comes and goes - it is out of stock at Amazon UK now, but there are some sellers on Google shopping search. It used to be sold in B&Q, and I think they actually had a similar Rust-Oleum product last time I looked.

There's a long discussion of it here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/119853-plastiko … -suede-returns/

Modellers tend to use it for texture then add additional colours to weather it in, but actually the colour from the can is quite beige like!

Reply 26 of 28, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-09-14, 12:55:
Hi, I've got a beautiful, but old case thats hood I probably have to grind down to the bare metal because of some deep scratches […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I've got a beautiful, but old case thats hood I probably have to grind down to the bare metal because of some deep scratches and corrosion.
IMG_20210914_144344_1.jpg

How can I recreate or mimic the original surface structure (e.g. with a paint roller)?
IMG_20210914_144332_1.jpg

TNX & regards

I've had great results applying a basecoat of liquid filler (essentially really thick primer) using an undercarriage paint gun:

31r3SwEu+pL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Filename
31r3SwEu+pL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
File size
35.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then spray painting the case as normal.

Last edited by Socket3 on 2023-08-24, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 28, by informatyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:50:
informatyk wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:37:

What kind of paint did you use? How many layers?

One layer. In some places second layer. The color is great but still too white, it's looks like from factory. I'm not used to it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    248.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 28 of 28, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
informatyk wrote on 2023-08-24, 11:22:

One layer. In some places second layer. The color is great but still too white, it's looks like from factory. I'm not used to it.

some time ago I made a visiual comparison of the two colours that I use for spraypainting old cases ...
colour comparison RAL 1013 VS RAL 9002

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.