VOGONS

First post, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I've been having an issue with a PCChips M571 board. The issue I'm having is that I can't enable DMA mode in hard disks and use an AWE64 at the same time if I put the FSB at 75mhz.

The specs of the machine:

• Motherboard: PCChips M571
  • CPU: AMD K6-2 500mhz running at 450mhz; 2.2v and FSB varying between 66mhz and 75mhz according to the following steps
  • RAM: 256MB
  • Videocard: Trident somehting
  • Additional VIA USB card
  • HDD: Two 32GB SanDisk CF Card Extreme

To reproduce the issue, what I did was:

1. Install Windows 98 in a blank CF Card with a multiplier of 6X and FSB at 75mhz;
  2. Start Windows normally;
  3. Run HDD benchmarks to check the speed of the drive (Tops at 8mb/s);
  4. Enable DMA mode for the C Drive and restart;
  5. Run HDD benchmarks to check the speed of the drive (Tops at 33mb/s);
  6. Shutdown;
  7. Plug Awe64 ISA card;
  8. Start up;
  9. Let it install the drivers and restart;
  10. Get the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.' If I try to see the details, there are only little squares on it. Some times, I get a blue screen that says something about Exception 0E and address 167:SOMETHING. Some times, if I try to see the details I see some corrupted text about run32.dll modules that are failing, or explorer.exe modules that are failing.

If I disable all AWE64 related devices in safe mode, it starts normally
If I disable DMA mode in the C drive, it starts normally
If I set FSB bus at 66mhz, it starts normally
If I unplug the ISA card, it starts normally

Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I'm missing? Or will I have to reduce the speed of the processor in order to boot normally? I used not to have this issue with physical hard drives, but I suspect DMA was never enabled, because I got to know about the setting not long ago with one of Phil's videos.

Thank you in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd suggest that you remove this VIA USB card first. Also check if the RAM is ok, maybe put in a smaller module for testing (64 or 128MB).
Then there's this: http://m571.com/m571/m571upgrade.htm
Check the section about "What about AMD chips and the problem with JP5 D?", maybe this is related to the issues you have with this board.

Reply 2 of 8, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pyrogx wrote on 2021-09-14, 18:02:

I'd suggest that you remove this VIA USB card first. Also check if the RAM is ok, maybe put in a smaller module for testing (64 or 128MB).
Then there's this: http://m571.com/m571/m571upgrade.htm
Check the section about "What about AMD chips and the problem with JP5 D?", maybe this is related to the issues you have with this board.

I had to do that Jumper D thing in order to boot with those speeds, and the USB card doesn't seem to be the issue. Is when I plug an ISA card that it gets wonky, which is bad because PCI slots are limited in this board 🙁

Reply 3 of 8, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapitanOdessa wrote on 2021-09-14, 18:20:

I had to do that Jumper D thing in order to boot with those speeds, and the USB card doesn't seem to be the issue. Is when I plug an ISA card that it gets wonky, which is bad because PCI slots are limited in this board 🙁

Did you try a different soundcard? Or the on-board sound (it's ISA too)? If it is somehow related to DMA mode, try a different brand of CF card (I normally use Transcend Industrial cards) or even a "real" spinning harddisk. Not all boards like CF cards, especially with any DMA mode.

Reply 4 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try setting jumper JP5(D) to position 2-3. That should make the PCI bus run at 33 MHz regardless of FSB speed, per the Amptron manual, which can be found here.

BTW, the CMI8330 which is the on-board sound card for that M571 is quite good. If you are unable to get the AWE64 to work, give that a try. Here's my mini review.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 8, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pyrogx wrote on 2021-09-14, 18:28:

Did you try a different soundcard? Or the on-board sound (it's ISA too)? If it is somehow related to DMA mode, try a different brand of CF card (I normally use Transcend Industrial cards) or even a "real" spinning harddisk. Not all boards like CF cards, especially with any DMA mode.

Hello!

I have an update. As I imagined, by default Windows 98 gets installed without DMA enable in the disk. However, with a real spinning disk drive, the problem was not present, so I'll assume that the issue has something to do maybe with the CF card formatting or something. Is a shame. I'll try to get an IDE SSD to pair with the CF cards, use the first for the OS and the other two for regular storage.

I'm still sad I can't use my CF cards as normal hard drives 🙁

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CapitanOdessa wrote on 2021-09-14, 22:04:
Hello! […]
Show full quote

Hello!

I have an update. As I imagined, by default Windows 98 gets installed without DMA enable in the disk. However, with a real spinning disk drive, the problem was not present, so I'll assume that the issue has something to do maybe with the CF card formatting or something. Is a shame. I'll try to get an IDE SSD to pair with the CF cards, use the first for the OS and the other two for regular storage.

The problem with DMA might be due to the IDE to CF adapter used .

Re: CF Card Through IDE - SLOW!

EDIT : This adapter definitely can work with DMA . https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2cf I have one . That being said, the issue may also be due to the CF card used or a incompatibility between the IDE controller on your board and CF media in general . Finding out and hopefully resolving the issue will likely require some trial and error, unfortunately .

Reply 7 of 8, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-09-15, 00:07:
The problem with DMA might be due to the IDE to CF adapter used . […]
Show full quote
CapitanOdessa wrote on 2021-09-14, 22:04:
Hello! […]
Show full quote

Hello!

The problem with DMA might be due to the IDE to CF adapter used .

Re: CF Card Through IDE - SLOW!

EDIT : This adapter definitely can work with DMA . https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2cf I have one . That being said, the issue may also be due to the CF card used or a incompatibility between the IDE controller on your board and CF media in general . Finding out and hopefully resolving the issue will likely require some trial and error, unfortunately .

Thing is, DMA mode seems to work as long as you don't use that CF card for booting the OS, which I find weird. My adapter is a dual CF-Card adapter to 44 pin IDE. It has jumpers to select 3.3v or 5v, but they don't have the pins. Instead, is soldered in a way in which it is always 5v. I have no idea why they would do that. I gave up on that, and I'll buy a new PATA 2.5 SSD drive, and use the CF cards as storage for more static files.

Reply 8 of 8, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought this was an interesting article on this topic that covers a quirk that I didn't know about:

http://support.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/cf.html

Originally, CompactFlash cards in TrueIDE mode only supported PIO modes (up to PIO4) and did not support DMA (MWDMA, UDMA). The original/traditional "IDE" wiring of the CompactFlash socket reflected that status quo. Later on though, UDMA-capable CF cards have become available. If you buy an UDMA-capable CF card based on the past impression that there's nothing to go wrong with the True IDE mode, and based on the total lack of any warning in any relevant marketing and technical documentation, you have a good chance of suffering a nasty shock: you plug the card into your trusty CF-to-IDE socket, and the card appears dead!

The trouble is that, compared to PIO, the DMA modes (not just UDMA, but also MWDMA) need two more signals in the CF socket: DMA REQ and ACK. These two signals are nowadays commonly present in all "enhanced IDE" channels (usually integrated on-chip in the system south bridge), but many CF sockets on the market today lack those signals! In traditional IDE-enabled CF sockets, pin 43 is floating free and pin 44 is wired to +5V (power supply line). In a UDMA-capable socket, these should be wired to the UDMA signals, i.e. CF(43)->IDE(21) = DMA REQ and CF(44)->IDE(29) = DMA ACK.
Many of you have previously met the classic UDMA game of hide'n'seek consisting in 40wire vs. 80wire IDE cable, the automatic detection of a 40pin cable, some of you may have worked with a setup where the 40pin cable is not detected and the machine tries the higher UDMA modes (anything above UDMA2 = 33 MBps) and fails to operate reliably, some of you may have experimented with forcing higher UDMA modes on setups where a 40pin attach is normally detected, but the conductors are actually quite short and the higher transfer rates actually work... (ide_core.ignore_cable=[channel_number])

So, for those of you who are aware of that classic UDMA 40wire vs. 80wire stuff, note that this CF DMA/UDMA affair is quite a different story. If you try to run a DMA-capable CF card in an old PIO-only CF socket, the card doesn't work at all, UDMA2 doesn't help, not even MWDMA, and there's no salvation in automatic fallback to PIO. The CF card is identified by the BIOS and OS, but as soon as the BIOS or the OS attempts some UDMA transfer, that IO transaction immediately grinds to a screeching halt, maybe followed by a series of pathetic messages about timeouts and bus resets. Your only chance out of this mess is by forcing "PIO4 only" in some way, ahead of talking (U)DMA to the card at all (since the last power-up/reset).
You may try modding your CF socket to support DMA. You may need to lift pin 44 of the CF socket off the PCB, to detach it from +5VSB, or cut the trace connecting to it. And, wire the two CF pins to the corresponding IDE pins in some exposed connector (if any). On many boards, this will be impossible. It's also a problem if you'd need to mod many pieces of some embedded motherboard like that.