VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick question to see if I can find what I'm looking for.

Long story short, I have two KVM switches in my setup, one is PS/2, the other USB. I've been using the PS/2 one for my Win95 machines, because I can upgrade DIN and serial to it. The rest of my machines can use USB keyboards and mice, so I use the other one with them. However, I'd like to combine both the switches and have the PS/2 switch essentially function as Computer #4.

So, I need to find a way to get the USB port of one to play with the PS/2 ports of the other. Specifically, I need a female USB that splits off into a pair of keyboard and mouse male PS/2 ports. All the USB/PS2 adaptors I see are either just for the mouse, or the opposite of what I need (male USB/female PS/2). Is there some way I can accomplish this? Is this an impossible pipe dream?

Thanks!

If this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to move it.

Reply 1 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BlackBox currently sells one. The part number is KVUSB-PS2. It is really pricey though.
https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/store/product/ … erter/KVUSB-PS2

A couple years ago I found a couple on eBay form a different company for cheap but they were really expensive new as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think you need something active as much as smart in that sitch, it needs to process and separate the signals, then turn them into PS/2, so microcontroller board that does USB host mode is probably going to come in.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Active" converters are the ones that translate the signal - aka have a microcontroller.

The ones I have at home can be taken apart as they are built in a metal project box.

I'm not sure that there is a single USB to dual PS2 converter out there. I've never come across one.... unless there is one specifically made for a KVM switch. With the regular active ones being so expensive, I can't imagine how much one with a built in USB host that would split the keyboard and mouse signals would be.

Found the converter I have at home. Slightly cheaper than the BlackBox one:
https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/usb-ps2-r.html

Found another on Amazon by TrippLite that is "only" $73:
https://www.amazon.com/Minicom-Converter-Swit … 2/dp/B00404YD8W

What is the brand/model USB KVM that you are using?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One with a microcontroller is active yes, but active does not necessarily mean microcontroller, as it would in some conversions just be doing level shifting or analog mode signal mixing or massaging, or more complex stuff with shift registers and logic, maybe implemented in a PAL or custom ASIC that isn't a microcontroller.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got this thing which I got from the local second hand computer refurbishing shop. You can change the usb gender with an adapter if you need to. LAVERS is the brand on the bag it came with. Only cost a few NZ pesos.

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_083412.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210916_083412.jpg
    File size
    319.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-15, 20:40:

I've got this thing which I got from the local second hand computer refurbishing shop. You can change the usb gender with an adapter if you need to. LAVERS is the brand on the bag it came with. Only cost a few NZ pesos.

I don't think it will work in reverse but feel free to prove me wrong.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt those work in reverse, but the alternative would be to get one of those for every USB system and use a PS/2 KVM.. which might come in under $70 if you find everything cheap.

Reply 8 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-15, 20:43:

Just make a custom usb adapter- done.

Not unlike null modem cables really.

Reply 9 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-15, 20:47:

How would that ever work? USB and PS2 are completely different.

Yes, you can use some USB mice and keyboards with a simple adapter, but those that work like that were made to support both USB and PS2 protocols.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-15, 21:19:

Yes, you can use some USB mice and keyboards with a simple adapter, but those that work like that were made to support both USB and PS2 protocols.

Think about for a while....

Reply 11 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-15, 21:27:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-15, 21:19:

Think about for a while....

You would need a USB host that could split out the separate keyboard and PS2 signals. ( 1 USB input and 2 PS2 outputs)

From the sound of it, that is what the OP wants to do. A simple adapter cable will not work and neither will a "null modem" type cable work for a gender changer in the adapter above. The controller on that adapter is almost 100% designed to only work in one direction.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 13, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an adapter similar to Caluser2000's, and it doesn't work because the PS/2 port itself is female, so it won't plug into the Trendnet switch.

As for what model the USB KVM is, it's this one from JideTech: amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071Y6C516?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I just wanted to see if there were any simple, cheap ones that I wasn't seeing in my searches. If all there is are those $70-$115 options, I might just want to survive with two keyboards. Either that or I can try swapping them, in that instead of the Trendnet one going to the USB one, but the other way around, and attaching the PS2/video cable to the USB one with the converter I already have. I'll work it out when I have tomorrow.

Reply 13 of 13, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't seen any splitters like that. "Splitting" USB input into separate PS/2 keyboard and mouse signals is very different from the opposite, that would pretty much make it closer to something like a USB-PS/2 hybrid KVM (which actually exists). However, a USB-PS/2 hybrid KVM (which accepts either PS/2 or USB input and can output in either way as well) can be overkill as you can literally connect all your PCs to that KVM if it has enough ports, making other KVMs unnecessary.

Such KVM can also make some standard USB wireless keyboards and mice work on PCs connected via PS/2. However, you won't be able to access special features of these devices (since they output as generic USB or PS/2 input devices), and USB input devices which deviate too much from the standard (like some high-end Corsair devices) are unlikely to work correctly.