VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using 1? Interested in hearing people's experiences as to what works best. They're cheap enough. Most of the lcd's I'd like to (re) utilize are from 2002-9. Mostly Toshiba but a few Sony and IBM (yes oem's are often all over the place).

Reply 1 of 14, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All my lcd monitors ftom that period either have a vga cable or port attached.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 14, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you know what I'm referring to. If you searched for "lcd controller" on ebay it would become clearer. You plug vga output in 1 end, the board converts it to a proper image on a host of different lcd panels.

Looking at my title I think I worded it badly. I didn't mean generic so much as universal.

Reply 3 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's not really universal, it's only for LCD panels with an LVDS interface.
The annoying thing about it tends to be that depending on the panel in use, you'll need a different type of connector and inverter to hook up the backlight. Sometimes it's an LED backlight, sometimes it's a CFL backlight.
The next thing to pay attention to is the display cable. You'll need a fully wired one to hook up panels ranging from low res to full hd.
Next thing, either you need to be able to set the display settings (resolution, bit depth, timings, single/double datapath(sorry lost the right word for this)) manually , or via some sort of automated menu setup where you start the device with some buttons pushed and then you can prev/next through the possible settings to find the one that fits your monitor, all the while looking at some weird display output until you find the right one.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 14, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-16, 07:02:

I don't think you know what I'm referring to. If you searched for "lcd controller" on ebay it would become clearer. You plug vga output in 1 end, the board converts it to a proper image on a host of different lcd panels.

Looking at my title I think I worded it badly. I didn't mean generic so much as universal.

If you were clearer in your request as well as gave some detail and pics of what you were referring you there would be no confusion.

Reply 5 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-16, 07:33:

If you were clearer in your request as well as gave some detail and pics of what you were referring you there would be no confusion.

I consider that assumption a lack of imagination on your part. 😁
Also besides the point, as is this.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 14, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:09:

I consider that assumption a lack of imagination on your part. 😁
Also besides the point, as is this.

Lol. I'll consult the all knowing orical next. I promise.

Reply 7 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-16, 07:32:
it's not really universal, it's only for LCD panels with an LVDS interface. The annoying thing about it tends to be that depend […]
Show full quote

it's not really universal, it's only for LCD panels with an LVDS interface.
The annoying thing about it tends to be that depending on the panel in use, you'll need a different type of connector and inverter to hook up the backlight. Sometimes it's an LED backlight, sometimes it's a CFL backlight.
The next thing to pay attention to is the display cable. You'll need a fully wired one to hook up panels ranging from low res to full hd.
Next thing, either you need to be able to set the display settings (resolution, bit depth, timings, single/double datapath(sorry lost the right word for this)) manually , or via some sort of automated menu setup where you start the device with some buttons pushed and then you can prev/next through the possible settings to find the one that fits your monitor, all the while looking at some weird display output until you find the right one.

As the above, would say they're anything but universal. The dealers generally require you to specify the panel model when ordering the LVDS adapter board, and send it preflashed with the correct firmware, backlighting board, and cables. The LVDS protocol isn't standardized. Even if the hardware you get fits other panels physically, it seems more or less impossible to find the firmware needed for them.

Got one of those LVDS adapter boards a few years ago, used it to convert the screen from a friend's broken $3000 laptop into a portable monitor for him. That project turned out great though, everything worked perfectly right out of the box. Just connected it and fired it up, none of the fiddling described above. The only small exception being that it took some work to figure out how to change the menu language from Chinese to English 😁

In essence, if you already know which panel you want to use it might be worth trying, otherwise forget it 😀

Reply 8 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:22:

As the above, would say they're anything but universal. The dealers generally require you to specify the panel model when ordering the LVDS adapter board, and send it preflashed with the correct firmware, backlighting board, and cables. The LVDS protocol isn't standardized. Even if the hardware you get fits other panels physically, it seems more or less impossible to find the firmware needed for them.

Got one of those LVDS adapter boards a few years ago, used it to convert the screen from a friend's broken $3000 laptop into a portable monitor for him. That project turned out great though, everything worked perfectly right out of the box. Just connected it and fired it up, none of the fiddling described above. The only small exception being that it took some work to figure out how to change the menu language from Chinese to English 😁

In essence, if you already know which panel you want to use it might be worth trying, otherwise forget it 😀

That "preflashed firmware" tends to be some settings that tell the firmware what panel is in use, ie resolution, bit depth, timings, and single/dual channels. the idea that they need different firmware always sounded fishy to me. Some of these boards actually use jumpers for the panel settings. But as always, you need the correct cables ! Can't expect a dual channel display to work correctly on only one channel.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:43:
kaputnik wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:22:

That "preflashed firmware" tends to be some settings that tell the firmware what panel is in use, ie resolution, bit depth, timings, and single/dual channels. the idea that they need different firmware always sounded fishy to me. Some of these boards actually use jumpers for the panel settings. But as always, you need the correct cables ! Can't expect a dual channel display to work correctly on only one channel.

Well, would at least explain why it seems impossible to find any firmware collections etc. Given your explanation of the setup, it would be no wonder if the dealers considers it too hard for the average user, and require the customers to specify what panel they have, instead of getting complaints, returns, etc.

Haven't found any documentation on setting them up either though. But then again, just had a quick look around out of curiosity when I did that conversion, never put any real effort into it 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh I'd be more interested in something that can take vesa feature connector digital input instead of messy analog VGA. Yes, I know it's 8b only, but for basic DOS stuff that's good enough.

Reply 11 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-09-16, 09:10:

Tbh I'd be more interested in something that can take vesa feature connector digital input instead of messy analog VGA. Yes, I know it's 8b only, but for basic DOS stuff that's good enough.

Sounds like an adapted version of the RGBtoHDMI Raspberry Pi module would be usable for that .
Probably even adaptable to use the older LCD interface standards that can be found in some laptops/luggables.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 12 of 14, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll be sure and provide some pretty pictures for you next time. So you can print them out and color them nice.

Reply 13 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-19, 08:04:

I'll be sure and provide some pretty pictures for you next time. So you can print them out and color them nice.

Be sure to make them color by numbers 🤣

Addendum to the topic :

I tried two board, one is normal display, just vga/hdmi/dvi/audioio and other has antenna for use as tv
the one for normal display seems to work just normal, though reading the edid info in windows somehow doesn't work for me and it gives me an odd quirk in that the machine connected to it tends to give me connect/disconnect sounds in windows whilst the display is in standby mode. It doesn't happen immediatly on going into standby, only after several hours, and can happen multiple times.
I don't know where to look to figure out what's causing this. I'm certain it's the lcd controller but why??? and it's not like the screen turns on again after the sounds.

The one for tv doesn't go into standby like a normal pc screen when connected to hdmi which was an annoying discovery to make.

Do not ask Why !