VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I have this tape since from 1997. After a wee while it was stored and never used again.

I wanted to read an old cartridge but it wasn't doing anything, just spinning and diagnosing the unit as defective.
As you can guess, I opened it and saw that the rubber around one of the heads capstans (I think it's just a wheel that drags the tape or pushed the tape on the "magnetic" head) was more like Nutella than anything.

A black sticky paste a little thicker than toothpaste.

Now, I have no idea how to repair it as I don't have the right thickness value and material to replace it with.
In the pictures it's the wheel on the left, that still displays some black remnants of the was rubber. 😀

If anyone can give advice you are more than welcome.

Edit: Software used is Ditto tools 5.1a on wayback machine:
https://archive.org/details/TAPEW51_EXE

works with win98se

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    Filename
    heads.jpg
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • heads top.jpg
    Filename
    heads top.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • front view.jpg
    Filename
    front view.jpg
    File size
    346.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Nexxen on 2021-10-13, 21:47. Edited 3 times in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might need to do something like this... http://www.mattmillman.com/info/qic-tape-driv … ic-tape-drives/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-16, 22:35:

I like what this guy did.
Reminds me of me replacing the disintegrated soft plastics that was missing on a number of guide rollers of a 1980s professional-grade plotter with a few layers of shrink tubing.
After doing this, the plotter worked like new 😀

Maybe you are lucky and find some suitable shrink tubing and it magically/by lucky chance has the required diameter when pulled on and shrunk?

Reply 3 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is overkill. But great job.

retardware wrote on 2021-09-16, 23:45:
I like what this guy did. Reminds me of me replacing the disintegrated soft plastics that was missing on a number of guide rolle […]
Show full quote

I like what this guy did.
Reminds me of me replacing the disintegrated soft plastics that was missing on a number of guide rollers of a 1980s professional-grade plotter with a few layers of shrink tubing.
After doing this, the plotter worked like new 😀

Maybe you are lucky and find some suitable shrink tubing and it magically/by lucky chance has the required diameter when pulled on and shrunk?

This is something I can try. Good idea!

Reply 4 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered some and will post back after doing the job.
The first suggestion is a maybe if nothing works, but it's a really demanding task.

If anyone feels to suggest something else I'm open to try.

Reply 6 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did 3 wrappings and it works. I had to glue it as it would otherwise come off and give a hardware error. I used some epoxy and have to wait until tomorrow when it's cured.
It needs a very grippy ring, mine is 2mm.
Cartridge has issues. Might need to buy a new one.

Does anyone have a pic of the inside, after opening it the spring came off and I can't put it back.

Note: it's slow and honestly I'd go for an LTO unit. Not worth the trouble even for retro something motive.
I don't recommend getting one. I'll put it back in storage

Reply 7 of 8, by charly2k18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-10-09, 19:43:
Did 3 wrappings and it works. I had to glue it as it would otherwise come off and give a hardware error. I used some epoxy and h […]
Show full quote

Did 3 wrappings and it works. I had to glue it as it would otherwise come off and give a hardware error. I used some epoxy and have to wait until tomorrow when it's cured.

Does anyone have a pic of the inside, after opening it the spring came off and I can't put it back.

Note: it's slow and honestly I'd go for an LTO unit. Not worth the trouble even for retro something motive.

Hello, I have an Iomega Tape 250 unit which unfortunately also has the capstan head destroyed. Please, could you tell me exactly what silicone tube or what material you ended up purchasing and the procedure for creating it? I suppose that since so much time has passed it will be complicated, but could you perhaps post a photo of how it turned out? Thank you very much in advance.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
charly2k18 wrote on 2024-02-12, 23:28:
Nexxen wrote on 2021-10-09, 19:43:
Did 3 wrappings and it works. I had to glue it as it would otherwise come off and give a hardware error. I used some epoxy and h […]
Show full quote

Hello, I have an Iomega Tape 250 unit which unfortunately also has the capstan head destroyed. Please, could you tell me exactly what silicone tube or what material you ended up purchasing and the procedure for creating it? I suppose that since so much time has passed it will be complicated, but could you perhaps post a photo of how it turned out? Thank you very much in advance.

I used some heatshrink material. It sucked though. I'd just put layer after layer: layer, shrink, layer, shrink... until it did reach the required width. In my case 2mm.
Because of friction it would come off, hence the glue.
Maybe find some online retailer and discuss the matter with him. If you are in need of the unit, hope it works. Otherwise steer away from it as it's a huge waste of time.

No problem, if I can help I'll help.
Pic I have to check if I made one then. Right now it's in my basement buried behind a mountain of stuff I have to throw away, i.e. out of my reach.