First post, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a good offer for this:

Vintage 386DX-20 motherboard 2MB RAM tested PWA-00443-0B PARCOR

I cant find any info anywhere.

Please check the picture.

I want to know if i can install memory chip on it to get 4mb. If yes, which chip exactly do i need, which model number ?

I suppose i could add a isa memory ram card, but i cant do that, because i dont have one and these memory ram card sell for a lot too much money on ebay, im not interested to pay 150$US and more for a memory ram isa card.

If this board can't have 4mb ram, i wont buy it, im not interested to have only 2mb on a 386.

I have another question. Does it have cache memory ?

Thanks for answer !

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO that board looks like a huge pain in the ass whether it takes 4MB or not, and if I was forced to make a guess off the pic, I'd guess not. (4x256 is already a pretty big RAM for the apparent age of that board, and there aren't enough sockets to get any more of those on.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! The memory sockets are all populated and cannot take larger ones. Also there is no Cache chips/sockets I can see.
That board is a very unique early full AT 386DX with mostly TTL and not a true full chipset. Can not find any info on it.
I tossed one similar because it had many issues BUT sort of wish I kept it only because of the rarety even if somewhat useless compared to any 386 with SIMM sockets (just my opinion)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-09-19, 04:59:

That board is a very unique early full AT 386DX with mostly TTL and not a true full chipset. Can not find any info on it.

Since it has 1990 date codes do you think it might have been an industrial board of some kind? Would a big 20MHz 386 board with tons of components have even been cheaper than a more integrated one by that date?

Reply 4 of 8, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a beautiful old full AT board! The PWA code makes me think either Everex or Mitac.

Unfortunately without the special memory card, you're stuck with whatever DIP RAM is installed. The memory card presumably plugs into one of those extra-long slots.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 5 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice board indeed and for $60 on ebay...
finding any memory expansion cards for it will be doubtful.
being located in texas makes the shipping prohibitive for me.

Also doubtful that you can put a 386dx40 on it, and not just because the oscillators are soldered on. the amount of logic chips could make timing issues a certainty.
No cache is also sad. changing the cmos battery implies modding the dallas chip.

oh yeah, and it seems to still have all its tantrum capacitors, those could get fun.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-09-19, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 8, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-19, 07:31:
Nice board indeed and for $60 on ebay... finding any memory expansion cards for it will be doubtful. being located in texas mak […]
Show full quote

Nice board indeed and for $60 on ebay...
finding any memory expansion cards for it will be doubtful.
being located in texas makes the shipping prohibitive for me.

Also doubtful that you can put a 386dx40 on it. no cache is also sad. changing the cmos battery implies modding the dallas chip.

Thanks for answer guys. So i won't buy it. I talked with the seller, it would accept a 50$US best offer. Go ahead if you want it. 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shipping & taxes more than doubles the price for me, so I'm out.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good for museum, but very little usefulness if it doesn't have SIMM slots. 2MB RAM would be good for a 286. When I had 386DX40, 8MB RAM was perfect for it. If you want a good 386, go for that configuration.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS