VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just killed 720kB floppy drive from Tandy 1000TL/2 (Sony MP-F11W-72) while recording #septandy episode for my channel. Drive suddenly stopped working after reboot (no longer read the floppies) and I did the most stupid thing connecting it to a second ribbon cable connector - which Tandy for odd reason reversed - of course it killed the drive (it spins while I try to access it, but no longer seeks, the small ribbon between it's PCBs is burnt). Of course some time ago I watched Adrian's Digital Basement about the issues with the floppies in the 1000HX and I didn't remembered anything. 😒

I'm so angry at me... but also at Tandy RadioShack (who on earth thought It will be a good idea to power the floppy through the ribbon cable and to put two differently keyed connector on the same ribbon - one fitting the drive the correct way and another - the other way around).

For now I connected the Gotek and it works, but I want this machine to be as original as it can be so I'm looking for a replacement now...

Do any of you guys know if Schneider Euro XT floppy would work? It seems fairly similar...

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 2, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-09-20, 00:48:

If you are lucky it is just a fused-open ribbon cable and nothing else.
In this case, manually attach a replacement wire could do the job.

Well, checking if the burnt wire still conducts was the first thing I did (and it does). Also the stepper motor which doesn't work is controlled through the PCB on the back of the drive while the spindle (which does work) by the front PCB.
So this drive is definitely dead now 🙁

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg