VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had created a thread about this drive a while back, but now I've pulled it out again from storage in order to perform more in-depth troubleshooting. Since the problem is actually somewhat different to what I had found before, I'm creating a new thread to avoid confusion.

The drive in question is an ALPS DFC642B01B, 5.25'' 1.2M. The problem is that it fails at reading the sectors on tracks 44-49 correctly on known working disks, it's always those same few tracks on all floppies, both original copies of games and disks formatted and checked by myself on other drives. All other tracks, 0-43 and 50-79 can be read without issues.

Writing to those tracks seems to actually work fine, if I use DSKIMAGE to write an image using this drive I can read it back on other drives just fine, but not with this one as it will fail on tracks 44-49. Formatting a blank disk ends up with a bunch of sectors marked as bad, unsurprisingly, around tracks 44-49 since it is unable to verify those sectors were formatted correctly (lots of back and forwards of the heads at around 55%).

An alignment test using IMD indicates issues when reading those problematic tracks, most of the time all 30 sectors on each track are read correctly but in some cases I see a 29 here and there. Playing with the alignment screws does not seem to help with getting rid of those errors, it only makes it worse. Besides, if it was an alignment issue it should still be able to format disks right?

So, this has me stumped. Why is it failing while reading those specific tracks? I would think if the heads were bad it would fail "evenly" on all tracks, in particular those closer to the center of the drive. I replaced the 3 electrolytic caps, cleaned the heads and lubricated the rails, none of that has helped.

Attachments

• ALPS_FDD.jpg
    Filename
    ALPS_FDD.jpg
    File size
    470.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ALPS DFC642B01B
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the sliding metal rods and check the reading head cable. And mechanical obstructions. There is something in the far end of your floppy drive head. Or the reading head cable is broken, but only comes out, when head is in the end on the drive.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a black tab that sticks out from the side of the drive head, that looks like it runs along a ledge on part of the drive open/close latch (presumably to lift the head when the drive is open), and there looks to be some wear on that ledge. Maybe the head being lifted slightly in the middle of its travel, causing problems for those few tracks in the middle. Or one of the rails that the head moves on could be slightly bent, causing the head to twist or bind slightly?

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theoretically is could also be that the stepper motor is wonky when the head is in that specific area.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I wonder how reliable these are, not just the motor itself but also the metal "ribbon" thing that is attached to it. I have a few drives with worm drives and they work just fine to this day, but this is the only drive with stepper+ribbon I have, so I don't know how it compares to the newer ones.

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never had problems with the stepper / metal ribbon drives. Technically they should be more reliable than the worm drive type. No having to worry about the worm drive wearing or having dirt/gunk/dried up grease.

Oh, yah know.. one thing it could be is that something is on the metal ribbon when it is rolled up at that location and is causing it to only be out of calibration right there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the drive can't read floopies it wrote to it's not alignment issue - could be head azimuth but it would have to be way off, that usually screws up everything, not just last tracks. IMHO you have bad head tension/pressure, it needs to be just right to work. Too little and the head will not be close enough (and will tend to bump up on even small media warps), this is usually the case. Too much and it can distort the signal. Start IMD, go to alignment and move head to the problematic area. Make sure you use a known good formatted floppy. Now apply a gentle pressure (with your finger) to the top head, see if that helps sector recognition. If so it's 100% too low head tension.

This can be due to warped mechanism, user errors during re-assembly after cleaning, or dirt. Rarely wear, I've yet to see a drive so worn out it would cause such problems, but that is also possible. Note that the head assembly should not rest on anything other than floppy once that is in and locked down. The small tab to the side is only to lift the head in open position and it can slide over the metal parts without floppy in drive, but otherwise it should not make contact (though the gap here can be very small, some drives specify as little as 0.2mm gap - just enough to slide a piece of paper between both).

Some drives also have some adjustment to the spring on the top head, you can try that too but in general it's just for fine-tuning. Read errors are usually beyond what it can fix and down to bent or assembled wrong sliding parts.