VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone, I'm putting together a Pentium III build based on these core components:

• QDI A10T motherboard
  • Pentium III Tualatin 1.4GHz-S
  • NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500
  • IDE DVD+RW
  • PCI SATA card
  • 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • PCI 1Gb NIC
  • SB Live! and/or AWE64

It's my understanding that I can't just use a modern power supply for this build. I have been reading that I need a PSU which has a stronger amperage on the 5V rail than what modern PSU's offer. What's "good enough" in terms of the 5V amperage rating on a PSU for this set of hardware 30A? 40A? Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you're sticking to the P3, you'll be fine with any decent brand that can provide 18A on the +5v rail for this build.

The really demanding generation was the Athlon. Demanding 65-70W over the+5v rail, just for the psu... you'd need at least 25A available. At least if you wouldn't want to use a demanding graphics card and oc your rig, then you'd end up over 35A and there the madness was complete.
Pentium 4 and later AMDs got powered by the +12v rail, so these were less demanding on the amps.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2021-09-21, 14:13:
Hey everyone, I'm putting together a Pentium III build based on these core components: […]
Show full quote

Hey everyone, I'm putting together a Pentium III build based on these core components:

• QDI A10T motherboard
  • Pentium III Tualatin 1.4GHz-S
  • NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500
  • IDE DVD+RW
  • PCI SATA card
  • 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • PCI 1Gb NIC
  • SB Live! and/or AWE64

It's my understanding that I can't just use a modern power supply for this build. I have been reading that I need a PSU which has a stronger amperage on the 5V rail than what modern PSU's offer. What's "good enough" in terms of the 5V amperage rating on a PSU for this set of hardware 30A? 40A? Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks!

Maybe something like this from FSP Group's 350-series lineup? The 120mm fan models are nice because they cool the case without making a huge racket while doing so.

I've got one in my PIII 1 GHz setup and it works great:
file.php?id=116553&mode=view

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 3 of 4, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2021-09-21, 19:49:

Maybe something like this from FSP Group's 350-series lineup? The 120mm fan models are nice because they cool the case without making a huge racket while doing so.

It looks like that one supports +5V@20A, just like most modern PSUs. Is there anything that would stop me from using a new one? Modular is always nice and I feel like a PSU is one component I'll spend a little extra on for piece of mind.

Hey, that's a super rad (and HUGE) heatsink! I love it.

I noticed that you have a NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti 200 and mentioned that you mounted a 60x60mm fan on it. Did this replace the stock fan, and how did you go about mounting it? I also picked up a GF3 for this build (this might be a Ti 500) and was thinking of upgrading the stock fan. At the very least, I want to remove the heatsink and clean off the old thermal compound and apply some arctic silver before putting it back on.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    File size
    603.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2021-09-21, 20:50:
leonardo wrote on 2021-09-21, 19:49:

It looks like that one supports +5V@20A, just like most modern PSUs. Is there anything that would stop me from using a new one? Modular is always nice and I feel like a PSU is one component I'll spend a little extra on for piece of mind.

I guess nothing really stops you from considering a brand new PSU, other than maybe that the included connectors will likely favor SATA and modern graphics cards. On modular PSUs you can of course just replace those with ones compatible with old hardware or use converting cable bits. For me it was the case that old high quality PSUs were readily available in high quantities and at low prices, so I really didn't see the need/point in buying new.

Hey, that's a super rad (and HUGE) heatsink! I love it.

It's great. I hate fans of all sorts, so this large PSU fan+CPU heatsink combo is way more tolerable than so many whiny/whirring cooling solutions one needed for a computer in this performance class back in the day.

I noticed that you have a NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti 200 and mentioned that you mounted a 60x60mm fan on it. Did this replace the stock fan, and how did you go about mounting it? I also picked up a GF3 for this build (this might be a Ti 500) and was thinking of upgrading the stock fan. At the very least, I want to remove the heatsink and clean off the old thermal compound and apply some arctic silver before putting it back on.

Interestingly, there are plenty of Ti200 cards that come without a fan. Mine was such a card, but since I don't have any fans other than the one in the PSU, this led to the card becoming very hot. Not unstable, but hot. I see many people using zipties to attach fans to their cards, but I actually prefer to use plug anchors such as these, if I can. It requires the right kind of fin arrangement on your heatsink, but if you're able to stick these things between the fins, tightening with the right kind of screws becomes a sitch. You can even utilize the screw-holes on the fan in most cases. Convenient and sturdy.

I have never removed the stock heatsink from a graphics card. Seems like those things are permanently fixed, and I don't have the nerves for it. 😁
Maybe someone else here can better advice on that? Might be a better solution in the event your Ti500 already has a cooler with a fan, in which case replacing the fan becomes difficult without also removing the original heatsink.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.