VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I pulled this off of what I think was a Socket 7 cooler but it may have been for a 486.

The fan is interesting because the ground pin runs off to a separate connector that is meant to be plugged in somewhere. How is this meant to be plugged in and why didn't they just use the ground pin on the molex connector?

IMG_20210925_213519_resize_53.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210925_213519_resize_53.jpg
File size
237.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's for motherboards that had limited current available at the motherboard fan header, but nevertheless throw an error if a fan is not connected, or they can't sense that it is turning.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-09-26, 01:54:

Heh are you sure that pin didn't just get pulled loose from the molex? Those adapters are quite flimsy...

I pulled the 12V from the molex. The question is why the ground pin is on a separate header.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-26, 01:54:

It's for motherboards that had limited current available at the motherboard fan header, but nevertheless throw an error if a fan is not connected, or they can't sense that it is turning.

They can still sense that a fan is connected by the ground pin alone?

Reply 4 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure that's the ground pin, from the orientation of the connector, it looks like the PWM pin
Definitely the ground pin of the fan, but that looks like a 4 pin header connector.
DO NOT plug that in to a modern system, as it looks like it would connect the PWM pin through the fan, probably not good for the motherboard!

Reply 5 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are only two wires that come off of it. The other one connects to 12V so this is definitely the ground pin. I tested this on my bench supply to confirm.

It's a keyed four pin Dupont connector with only one wire in it for ground.

Reply 6 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My best guess:
Early fan control worked via a transistor that would enable or disable the ground connection for the fan headers. That was mainly so you could switch off fans during standby.
If you wanted your fan running directly from the PSU you couldn't choose wether the fan would spin during standby or be shut off. With this adaptor you can hook you fan up to +12V directly on the PSU and still use fan control.
I know, it sounds kind of inelegant but it's the best theory I have.