VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These 2 are beasts. Both made by HP, one is a 98788a grayscale workstation monitor. The other is a big rectangular color monitor, sharp edges, I'll pull the part number tomorrow.

The first shows a raster when powered up, but seems kind of dim. The other has never displayed anything at all.

Hate to toss them, but it may finally come down to that (I've threatened to do this on other forums. Never was able to screw up the nerve). But I do hate to toss them.

Suggestions? No they're not, to say the least, ideal for gaming in anyway. Assuming both worked, well let's state for the color unit it would require a good deal of effort to get it to work with a PC. Perhaps a lot less work to operate with a Mac. The gray one works on an NTSC like signal, but has a native resolution of about a 1,o00 lines. If you were to look at the tech manual, which is/was available online, the input signal diagram looks surprisingly like an American composite/NTSC signal. So using it with any modern computer is terribly impractical.

I also have 2 other smaller 16" HP color monitors, also fixed frequency, 98789a and 98785a. 1 is 64khz, the other 48khz. Both are missing the rear plastic shell but should be otherwise functional. I used to sell these and others a long time ago because they were easy to get to work w/Macs in a single resolution. Both have Trinitron tubes and worked well when I had them running.

Then there's the 3 19" Mitsubishi gray scale picture tubes. Those will be the last things to go, which I'm sure sounds pretty strange.

And then there's the 21" Radius monitor, unfortunately dim so it represents no value at all. The 19" Mitsubishi Diamondscan, also a dog. My KDS 19" is practically new. May hold on to that, but it's no Trinitron.

Reply 1 of 5, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

perhaps try sell them on facebook marketplace as a retro restore job for the worn out units with a description you may get a few dollars for someone to refurbish them. Or even offer them for free?

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Know how you feel. I got a bunch of CRT's this year. seems a shame to throw them out.
My CRT haul and giveaway (UK only)

3 went to members here, 1 to a friend, and a dead one I put on Facebook market place also went (was to be used as a movie prop I was told)
No luck with vcfed so still have more then I want/need but ok success.

I put that cga? one on ebay for something like £5 Someone did buy it but then said keep the money as he didn't want to ship it.
Haven't got around to it yet but now they are tested I'll put back on freecycle and also Facebook market place and gumtree, I may put on ebay but even though you say no shipping people still ask
(I don't have the time or resources to ship fragile crt's I'm basically giving away)

So thats what I would do, put them everywhere but at some point you have to draw the line if you need the space, at least you tried

Reply 5 of 5, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It just occurred to me today that since the humongous HP crt doesn't have any output , I could pull it's tube and see if it'll work with the Mitsu or Radius, as their tube are dim.