VOGONS

First post, by glowie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this old IBM PS/2 8535 Model 35 (this one http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/cfa2.htm) that I picked up a while ago, it works but the floppy drive doesn't, it just makes a buzzing noise and doesn't read anything. I took it apart and saw that every time I wanted to read from a floppy disk, the head (I think it's called that) tries to move forward only to immediately stop, it does this three times and then gives me the error. I read some forums saying it has to do with a capacitor but I'm not sure, it doesn't help the fact that these drives were proprietary so I can't just replace it (not cheaply at least). I tried moving the head a little bit and it did move smoothly back to its starting position only to immediately do the same thing as before.

I'm not an expert in repairing or old computers so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas what this malfunction might be.

Reply 1 of 2, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like the head can't move into the center of the disk. With it off you may be able to twist the screw it rides on to move it into the center. Probably worth lubricating it with some lithium grease. Btw, if you try to move the head, itself it will skip on the screw.

These drives have all sorts of failures. capacitors, alignment, stuck heads. What model it is?

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia