VOGONS

First post, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble getting a PAS 16 Rev F (Studio) set up correctly in my IBM 5170 under DOS 5.0, and I'm hoping for some pointers from people much more experienced and knowledgeable than I. I know these cards are notoriously finicky, and I'm sure there's something simple I'm doing wrong, but I'm not sure what it is.

A little background: I bought this board several weeks ago in (stated) working condition. Having done a quick jumper check with reference to the nerdlypleasures write-up (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2017/01/a … -crown-pro.html), I gave the edge connector a quick cleaning and popped it into an open slot. I then installed the driver/software package downloaded from VogonsDrivers (the Studio-specific version, with MVSOUND.SYS v3.23); everything seemed in order and the sound tests all worked as expected, so I was off to the races. Unfortunately, after trying a couple games (both with native PAS support and in SB mode), there wasn't any audio output at all. So, I went back to the installer, fiddled with a couple different DMA/IRQ combinations (both for the native PAS and for SB emulation), and re-tested; still nothing. After a little reading, I got wise to the CUSDIAG utility and popped in there; none of the audio test samples would start at all. At that point, I pulled the board, spent a decent while trying different jumper combinations for base address and IRQ, and finally hit upon a combination that would yield something in the way of audio in the diagnostic utility.

So, here's what's working:
- 8-bit native-PAS playback in CUSDIAG
- 8-bit SB playback in CUSDIAG
- Music and SFX playback in games that use SB mode
- Music and SFX in a game that has native PAS support (Civilization 1 with SOUND.EXE driver program)

Now, here's what I can't get to work properly:
- 16-bit native-PAS playback in CUSDIAG (the audio is extremely distorted and gets stuck in loops)
- FM-synth playback in CUSDIAG (when I start to play a sample, I hear a couple random notes tripping over each other, then some silence, then a couple more random notes, etc. - never anything coherent or melodic)
- Volume control (in the diagnostic utility, I can set the volume to "medium" or "high", but they're miles apart from each other in actual gain, and any attempt at fine control between the two extremes yields no result)
- At "full volume", gain is so high that sound is extremely distorted, even with speakers turned all the way down
- The PAS.EXE utility, in either text or GUI mode (attempting commands in text mode yields complaints about syntax, even though I'm almost positive I'm interpreting correctly, and attempting to start GUI mode results in Runtime Error R6003)

Here's what I've tried to do about the above:
- Remove other cards in the PC down to the bare minimum (VGA card, IDE controller, and the PAS - no help)
- Move the PAS to a different slot (no change)
- Try every 16-bit IRQ/DMA combination listed in the manual - 10/5, 11/6, 12/7 (no change in results, good or bad, between the different combinations)
- Reset all jumpers to default values per documentation and try to use that way (no luck - the card doesn't seem to like being jumped at the "default" IRQ of 5 and won't output anything at all unless I jump it to IRQ 7)
- Install different versions of the PAS software/driver package, including a package that uses MVSOUND v3.24 (no change)
- Read up on similar instances where possible (the only thread I could find that really seemed to mirror my issues is here, at Pro Audio Spectrum 16 problems, but there didn't seem to be a concrete solution)
- Pray hard to tech gods of unknown provenance and efficacy

Does anyone know of anything else I might try here?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problem is that the PAS 16/Studio is a more advanced PAS and PAS 16 and requires a faster CPU than a 5170 (6 or 8 mhz 286) has and better chipset/BIOS support.
In my PAS Studio manual it states under hardware requirements: 386SX or better and 2MB ram or better. That is not the software requirements but the hardware.
Now I have gotten the original PAS16 to work OK under a 286-12 but still there are some issues even at those CPU speeds and will never recommend it.
Currently own 6 PAS 16 variants and one PAS Thunderboard but am not an expert but can say you are trying to use a sound card not designed for your very early 286 platform.
A Creative SB PRO CT1350 may work better but you still may have issues with lack of CPU power when you fire up a game...just my experience.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 16, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Horun - that certainly seems reasonable. In doing some prelim research, I saw plenty of references to systems being too fast for the PAS to function properly, but I never stopped to think about an AT being too slow. Guess it's time to look into an Adlib clone, unless I get lucky enough to stumble across an affordable CT1350 or similar.

Out of curiosity, do you have any thoughts on shoehorning something like a Vibra 16 into a 5170? I know I could pick one of those up inexpensively and there's almost nothing to configure, but I have no idea if I'd encounter a similar horsepower issue with something of that generation.

Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick answer: No the Vibra chips are PnP and require a ICU/CTM or other software to enable the plug-n-play chip, will not work on 286.
You need a jumper set card or early EEPROM software type (like Aztech type that Packard Bell used). Just a quick answer...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 16, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-10-07, 03:03:

Quick answer: No the Vibra chips are PnP and require a ICU/CTM or other software to enable the plug-n-play chip, will not work on 286.
You need a jumper set card or early EEPROM software type (like Aztech type that Packard Bell used). Just a quick answer...

A vibra card will work fine in a 286. (Same as many other plug and play cards)

Use Unisound to configure it instead of ICM/CTCM.

Reply 6 of 16, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to everyone for the guidance. The card is usable enough right now for 8-bit applications that I'll probably just keep experimenting with it, but I'll also keep an eye out for alternative solutions.
The one thing I still can't understand about the PAS is that upon a fresh boot, it won't produce any in-game audio at all unless I first go into the diagnostic utility and play a test WAV - then it works in-game just as expected. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reply 7 of 16, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weriov wrote on 2021-10-08, 11:20:

The one thing I still can't understand about the PAS is that upon a fresh boot, it won't produce any in-game audio at all unless I first go into the diagnostic utility and play a test WAV - then it works in-game just as expected. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have two of these cards [*] and at least one of them (possibly both), on cold boot, they have a tendency not to initialise correctly (I'm using the MVSOUND.SYS, not sure about the version) until I have rebooted a couple times. Maybe it needs to warm up or something like that, not really sure.

So, just to confirm, 8-bit sound is working in both SB and PAS mode? But 16-bit sound is still "distorted and gets stuck in loops"?

I'm also using the cards in a 386SX-20, so the speed issue mentioned earlier might also have something to do with it, maybe your system doesn't have enough throughput for 16-bit data at the rate it is playing back at. Maybe you can find a MOD player that supports PAS16 and use a super low playback frequency for 16-bit output, e.g. 11khz/16-bit, see what happens.

I guess you can't you test in a faster machine because you probably would already have tried that.

[*] 650-0060 (SCSI), 650-0042 (LMSI)

Reply 8 of 16, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct (8-bit audio works in both PAS and SB modes, while 16-bit is still garbled and "loopy"), and correct (this is the only ISA machine I currently have, so I'm not able to test in a faster system). Not that having to run the diagnostic upon boot is a big deal - it's just a little puzzling to me.

As far as the 16-bit playback issue is concerned, I guess that's not really a big deal - I can't think of any opportunity I'd really have to play 16-bit audio on a 5170 anyway. More than anything, I'd just like to know for sure that it's being caused by system speed and not by something I'm doing wrong or mis-configuring. But based on your and Horun's comments, lack of processing power does seem to be the most likely culprit, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Reply 9 of 16, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth, just pulled my 386SX out of the rack and hooked it up. I also have a PAS16 that is identified as a Studio (MVDIAG reports it as such). Card seemed to work on first boot. My version of MVSOUND.SYS is 2.24. Not sure which driver pack it came from but definitely downloaded from vogondrivers.

My config.sys looks like this:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVER\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S:1,220,1,7 M:0 J:0

My autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I7 T3
C:\DRIVER\PAS.EXE SET VOLUME TO 80
C:\DRIVER\PAS.EXE SET FM TO 95

But yeah, probably a speed issue in your case.

Reply 10 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weriov wrote on 2021-10-08, 22:58:

Correct (8-bit audio works in both PAS and SB modes, while 16-bit is still garbled and "loopy")

Well if you had a Creative CT1350 that is all you get too ! They are only 8bit audio....so no loss on that one using the MediaVision card !
Sometime in the future you will be glad you have that MV Studio card, do not get rid of it.
Is one of the best older sound card made IMHO, better than any early Creative until SB 16.... just my opinion 😀

canthearu wrote on 2021-10-07, 03:29:

A vibra card will work fine in a 286. (Same as many other plug and play cards)
Use Unisound to configure it instead of ICM/CTCM.

Yeah I always forget about Unisound (probably because have never needed it)....

Reply 11 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-10-09, 00:13:

For what it's worth, just pulled my 386SX out of the rack and hooked it up. I also have a PAS16 that is identified as a Studio (MVDIAG reports it as such). Card seemed to work on first boot. My version of MVSOUND.SYS is 2.24.

Hmm can you zip that up and post it ? Maybe he needs an older version and I would like it to add to my MV library or drivers. Most of mine are v3.xx. Thanks

Reply 12 of 16, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-10-09, 01:26:

For what it's worth, just pulled my 386SX out of the rack and hooked it up. I also have a PAS16 that is identified as a Studio (MVDIAG reports it as such). Card seemed to work on first boot. My version of MVSOUND.SYS is 2.24.

Hmm can you zip that up and post it ? Maybe he needs an older version and I would like it to add to my MV library or drivers. Most of mine are v3.xx. Thanks

Oops. Sorry, made a typo. Mine is 3.24... 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-10-09, 01:16:
Well if you had a Creative CT1350 that is all you get too ! They are only 8bit audio....so no loss on that one using the MediaVi […]
Show full quote
weriov wrote on 2021-10-08, 22:58:

Correct (8-bit audio works in both PAS and SB modes, while 16-bit is still garbled and "loopy")

Well if you had a Creative CT1350 that is all you get too ! They are only 8bit audio....so no loss on that one using the MediaVision card !
Sometime in the future you will be glad you have that MV Studio card, do not get rid of it.
Is one of the best older sound card made IMHO, better than any early Creative until SB 16.... just my opinion 😀

And in addition, the PAS16 has a built-in SB 1.5 (Thunderboard, actually), too making it comparable to the CT1350B.
The 1.5 level DSP is almost same as the one found in SB2.

However, there's one difference that I must mention for the sake of fairness.
The original SB1.0/SB1.5/SB1.0 cards do have the same volume ratio for DAC+FM combo.

See FM and PCM Volume Balance of SB Cards

Ironically, though, the 16-Bit cards do have feature rich mixers, so these balance levels can be recreated.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 16, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-09, 07:54:
However, there's one difference that I must mention for the sake of fairness. The original SB1.0/SB1.5/SB1.0 cards do have the s […]
Show full quote

However, there's one difference that I must mention for the sake of fairness.
The original SB1.0/SB1.5/SB1.0 cards do have the same volume ratio for DAC+FM combo.

See FM and PCM Volume Balance of SB Cards

Ironically, though, the 16-Bit cards do have feature rich mixers, so these balance levels can be recreated.

That's exactly what I ended up doing for the PAS16, see my autoexec.bat example shown earlier. 😀

But yeah, OP can just use his PAS16 as a glorified SB and ignore the PAS capabilities altogether.

Reply 15 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
For what it's worth, just pulled my 386SX out of the rack and hooked it up. I also have a PAS16 that is identified as a Studio ( […]
Show full quote

For what it's worth, just pulled my 386SX out of the rack and hooked it up. I also have a PAS16 that is identified as a Studio (MVDIAG reports it as such). Card seemed to work on first boot. My version of MVSOUND.SYS is 2.24. Not sure which driver pack it came from but definitely downloaded from vogondrivers.

My config.sys looks like this:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVER\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S:1,220,1,7 M:0 J:0

My autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I7 T3
C:\DRIVER\PAS.EXE SET VOLUME TO 80
C:\DRIVER\PAS.EXE SET FM TO 95

But yeah, probably a speed issue in your case.

Good info ! From the Q&A troubleshoot portion of the manual it says you can set the SB audio level that way also. Example from page 99: PAS SET SB TO XX (where XX is 0 to 100)
Another thing it says there are issues with Quadtel and some Pheonix BIOS, and to place a /W in the MVSound statement after the D:# Q:# portion and prior to S: parameters. I do not remember reading those parts before ;p
The Mac PAS16 manual is at bitsavers but never found a PDF of the PC versions...

Reply 16 of 16, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you guys so much for all the additional info. Funny enough, I do have the Quadtel bios running on this machine, so I did a little poking around on the /W switch - it seems it's used to correct for an FM hanging-note issue that I haven't experienced (yet). As far as everything else - at this point, the card seems to be working just fine as a SB "clone" (as long as I initialize it manually upon boot), so I'll just keep using it that way and probably never be any the wiser!