VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm downloading the latest BIOS version for my SHUTTLE HOT-675V which is found in 675vs026.zip/675VS026.BIN (256K) but there is a second file 675vs026.exe which contains awardext.rom (25K).

What is the purpose of this smaller Award extension ROM image?

I am downloading these images from this archive:

https://download.shuttle.eu/Archive_2004/BIOS/675v/

Reply 1 of 1, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Kahenraz,

The awardext.rom file is one of the modules of the BIOS and sits, in compressed form, inside the 256KB 675VS026.BIN BIOS image. You probably tried to unpack the 675VS026.EXE before use and ended up with awardext.rom and some other files.

The 675VS026.EXE file was provided by Shuttle to make life easier. You have to put this EXE on a bootable DOS floppy and just run the EXE from the A:\ prompt. It will then unpack the Awdflash program and the BIOS image file, 675VS026.ROM in this case, and starts the BIOS flash automatically.

But you can also use the 675VS026.ZIP file, unzip it and copy the Award flasher and the BIOS BIN file to the floppy. After booting from the floppy, you then start the flash procedure yourself.

Note that the 675VS026.BIN from the ZIP and 675VS026.ROM from the EXE are identical, and so are the flash programs. So the end result after using the ZIP or the EXE is the same.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page