VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a 486 MB and several cards some months ago in a package deal. I also got a P8/P9 AT/ATX adapter, but it had no switch.I bought a switch and had a buddy attach some wires and leads to it.
Today, I hooked up the graphics card I got, added in a fresh battery, then set up the PC with a VGA monitor, the adapter and an ATX PSU. I turned on the switch, and nothing seemed to have happened.
To troubleshoot, I've tried a different PSU, power cable going to the PSU, switch the power leads, and making sure the VGA cable was attached properly.
Am I missing any troubleshooting possibilities or could I already have some dead electronics?

Reply 1 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have connected the P8/P9 to the motherboard in that way that the black wires are in the middle?
Do you have the speaker connected?
Do you have a port 80 diagnostics card?

Reply 3 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gazirra wrote on 2021-10-11, 19:39:

I also got a P8/P9 AT/ATX adapter, but it had no switch.I bought a switch and had a buddy attach some wires and leads to it.
[...] I turned on the switch, and nothing seemed to have happened.

Does the switch connect the green and black wires?

Explanatory edit: Green is usually "Power on" on ATX and this needs to be connected to ground (black) to turn on the PSU. If these are not connected, the PSU won't turn on and nothing happens.

Reply 4 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much memory do you have installed?
Did you attach a speaker/beeper (will give you error beep codes, which will be helpful)?
What CPU do you have and are the jumpers set correctly?

Post photos, it will help people here to better understand what board and set up you're trying to get up and running.