VOGONS

First post, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regardless of the jumper settings, various memory chips and two processors (p3-550 and celeron), the board does not show any signs of life after being turned on. No bios beep sounds. The CPU does not heat up at all until I put the cpu without heatsink, naked die is lukewarm.

The board looks perfect, no signs of damage. I have a multimeter, hot-air and some dead boards. Anything else I can try? I found a mention that there were some problems with these albums right after the release.

Attachments

• 20211014_151147.jpg
    Filename
    20211014_151147.jpg
    File size
    404.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20211014_151143.jpg
    Filename
    20211014_151143.jpg
    File size
    485.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20211014_151140.jpg
    Filename
    20211014_151140.jpg
    File size
    550.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20211014_151136.jpg
    Filename
    20211014_151136.jpg
    File size
    519.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20211014_151131.jpg
    Filename
    20211014_151131.jpg
    File size
    505.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 12, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if its on ATX power and you hear fans when pressing the power button then theres life.
If there isn't first i'd try another psu. any atx psu will do.
If that doesn't work can be DEAD CHIPSET.
If it is urgent to repair the logic needs to be inspected by a professional technician or understanding about oscilloscopes, logic probes and multimeters may be needed.
Power mosfets could be dead and sometimes the chipset chips can need reballing.
The condition of caps looks good from those photos.
Technicians have substitute guides for the mosfets to get modern ones to replace them.
Price would be steep maybe another motherboard instead and sell current as dead/parts.
I had motherboards whos mosfets hum when cooling fan ramps up its like a squeal noise thats a sign of failing.
since theres heat from cpu whatsoever it i working just not posting
boot block bios can load bios from a floppy
Heres the manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/8 … p3c2000-103.pdf

Attachments

• p3c-2000-dimms.jpg
    Filename
    p3c-2000-dimms.jpg
    File size
    48.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    memory dimms
    File license

Reply 2 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like someone applied violence to a videocard that was installed and left a part of it in the slot there...

You might want to start there.

Attachments

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 3 of 12, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-10-14, 14:31:

Looks like someone applied violence to a videocard that was installed and left a part of it in the slot there...

You might want to start there.

it's just a piece of plastic to prevent the non-agp pro card from being misconnected

Reply 4 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dulu wrote on 2021-10-14, 14:36:

it's just a piece of plastic to prevent the non-agp pro card from being misconnected

Ah, apologies.

Check the datasheet for the CPU voltage IC and see if it's outputting the correct value (or anything at all).

Attachments

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 12, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

memory dimms could be worn i have a mobo like that just slight touch it freezes pc. remedy is 1 stck of memory try 1 slot at a time until it boots to determine bad slot. (if any)

Reply 6 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a board with i820 RDRAM chipset and an MTH to allow it to use SDRAM. The MTH at best combined the worst aspects of SDRAM (low bandwidth) and RDRAM (high latency), but at worst it was a buggy compatibility nightmare.

Try different DIMMs, one at a time, preferably good stuff from well-supported chip vendors like Micron or Samsung.

If that doesn't work, dead chipset is likely. Not sure why but had multiple i820 boards (mainly with RDRAM - this isn't an MTH issue for a change) that simply didn't do anything. In fact I have an Asus P3C-E (same board as this, just no MTH and RIMM slots instead of DIMM slots) doing just that in my 'can't bear to throw out so save for when my diagnosis and repair skills get bettter' box.

Reply 7 of 12, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dulu wrote on 2021-10-14, 13:55:

Regardless of the jumper settings, various memory chips and two processors (p3-550 and celeron), the board does not show any signs of life after being turned on. No bios beep sounds. The CPU does not heat up at all until I put the cpu without heatsink, naked die is lukewarm.

The board looks perfect, no signs of damage. I have a multimeter, hot-air and some dead boards. Anything else I can try? I found a mention that there were some problems with these albums right after the release.

Hi!
First of all inspect everything on the board using a magnifying glass. You will be able to find broken traces or short circuits.
Don't forget to install good CMOS battery CR2032!
Then try to run without RAM but with a beeper installed. It should beep when there is no RAM.
Next you can check voltages Vcore, Vdimm, Vagp and others.
Of course I suppose CPU and PSU are in the working state.
Good luck!

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 9 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2021-10-14, 16:49:

At least it´s all Samsung and Rubicon electrolytics - so there´s no need to recap before troubleshooting.

Sanyo, not Samsung. WG series, specifically.... Yes, WG are ok I guess, but later productions should be treated as suspect (Suncon bought the rights and now produces them last time I checked).

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 12 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-10-14, 23:09:

Install CR2032 battery and check again 😀

Ah, now that you mention it, yes, the obvious thing to do is desolder than BIOS chip and flash it externally.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png