VOGONS

First post, by marinelayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a beautiful IBM PS/2 model 77s and am looking for suggestions on what it’s fate should be? Here are some initial thoughts:

- DOS/Windows Telnet BBS server?
- DOS gaming box?
- IRC server?

Looking for fun suggestions hardware upgrade suggestions as well. This is my first MCA box so unfamiliar with hardware compatibility and limits.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
marinelayer wrote on 2021-10-15, 00:30:
Hey everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a beautiful IBM PS/2 model 77s and am looking for suggestions on what it’s fate should be? Here are some initial thoughts:

- DOS gaming box?
- IRC server?

Looking for fun suggestions hardware upgrade suggestions as well. This is my first MCA box so unfamiliar with hardware compatibility and limits.

Thanks!

I love these machines! They don't return the favor, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

First thing you need to decide; How much do you want to invest? Both time and money. No retro system is going to be cheap and easy. But MCA boxes have more quirks than "normal". Parts are MUCH harder to get. Soundcards used to cost $1200 EASY until very recently when the community has made some new cards from old parts. These cards still cost $130 and are not going to work in every machine.

If you don't want to invest in a sound card, it kinda eliminates the "DOS gaming" bit. Network cards are easy to find, and an IBM would be right at home working as a BBS/IRC box.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 8, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A '77? Go for SCSI, sound blaster and some ram upgrade cards and you'll be broke for the next few years :p

There's some interesting things on the ps/2 line, but due to the cost I tend to keep myself limited to the model 30, both 8086 and 286 (7 pcs in 5 different configs)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 8, by marinelayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2021-10-15, 05:17:
I love these machines! They don't return the favor, but I'm a glutton for punishment. […]
Show full quote
marinelayer wrote on 2021-10-15, 00:30:
Hey everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hey everyone,

- DOS gaming box?
- IRC server?

Thanks!

I love these machines! They don't return the favor, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

First thing you need to decide; How much do you want to invest? Both time and money. No retro system is going to be cheap and easy. But MCA boxes have more quirks than "normal". Parts are MUCH harder to get. Soundcards used to cost $1200 EASY until very recently when the community has made some new cards from old parts. These cards still cost $130 and are not going to work in every machine.

If you don't want to invest in a sound card, it kinda eliminates the "DOS gaming" bit. Network cards are easy to find, and an IBM would be right at home working as a BBS/IRC box.

Thanks for the info! I’m fine with investing a good bit of time and money to make it a great machine, but not sure a $1200 sound card is the first thing I’d look for, but 130 is definitely doable. Also can you recommend a processor upgrade? Any specific threads or sites I should be checking out for components?

Reply 5 of 8, by marinelayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-10-15, 08:24:

A '77? Go for SCSI, sound blaster and some ram upgrade cards and you'll be broke for the next few years :p

There's some interesting things on the ps/2 line, but due to the cost I tend to keep myself limited to the model 30, both 8086 and 286 (7 pcs in 5 different configs)

I’m a laptop collector as its a bit easier on storage space but ended up finding one new in box and had to jump on it. From what I hear I’m in for a marathon 😀. Any tips on specific ram upgrade cards or sound cards I should be on the lookout for?

Reply 6 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these: https://texelec.com/product/resound-new-wave-mca/ I have yet to actually test it. 😜 Just too damn busy.

I'm about 95% sure, the model 77's processor cannot be upgraded. The ram ***SHOULD*** be standard 72 pin simms. And should be upgradeable to 64mb (ish) If you do buy from ebay, I would recommend not getting anything marked ECC or RS6000, they are highly likely to NOT work.

But if you are going to use dos/win311 then 16mb is probably enough and 32 should be more than plenty. I dont actually have a model 77 around to test, but IF the processor is removeable then the only possible cpu upgrade might be the Pentium overdrive. But those upgrades are very hit & miss with IBM.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 8, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marinelayer wrote on 2021-10-16, 05:47:

Thanks for the info! I’m fine with investing a good bit of time and money to make it a great machine, but not sure a $1200 sound card is the first thing I’d look for, but 130 is definitely doable. Also can you recommend a processor upgrade? Any specific threads or sites I should be checking out for components?

https://www.ardent-tool.com/ is probably your best bet.

10mb/s ethernet is fairly easy to find, token ring is what you will see a lot of. MCA madness can lead to token ring madness. Before you know it you'll be wiring your home with it. There was an IBM sound card, that can be found for less than $130 sometimes but it isn't very good. I would not recommend building a gaming system.

Does your 77 have SCSI or IDE? BBS or irc server is what i'd go with out of that list. Don't think I've ever upgraded a CPU on a PS/2 successfully. One time I tried it on a model 95 it broke. This was before I had internet, and didn't have much knowledge at the time though. IIRC the model 77 has a soldered CPU and an upgrade socket on some models. Some I think have a socketed CPU. Same rules apply for upgrading any 5v only socket. The site I linked to will tell you a lot.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 8 of 8, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2021-10-16, 06:22:

The ram ***SHOULD*** be standard 72 pin simms.

they are. BUT... as any desktop PS/2, it'll require parity. not ecc as you said, but parity.
then, memory need the presence bit to be set according to their capacity/speed, that's a point where you can easily be trapped, as a lot of fpm/edo sticks don't use them.
they usually have the pads to set 0 ohm "resistors" for that.