VOGONS

First post, by dbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! New user here.

I got nostalgic after watching too many LGR videos and decided to put together a retro PC myself. Went to a local recycler and picked up the first late-90ish PC that POSTed. Upon closer examination it turned out to be quite a nice machine:

• Asus P2B
  • Pentium II 300
  • 384MB RAM
  • Diamond Viper V330 / Riva 128
  • SoundBlaster AWE 64
  • Asus 40X CDROM

Didn't even need much cleanup, just a new CMOS battery! I'm planning to put Win 98SE on it and relive my late teen years.

It did not come with a HDD though, so I need some storage options. Thought about going with a CF-to-IDE adapter first, but decided to try spinning disks after all. I somehow wound up with 3 IDE HDDs (1x 20GB and 2x 40GB) - only plan to use one though. I managed to flash the BIOS to R1012 which should work with up to 120GB drives. However, it turns out the system really does not like HDDs. It's the same story with all three drives:

• The BIOS "Detect IDE hard drives" screen finds the HDD with the correct size ...
  • ... but when booting I get "Master Hard Drive failure" (or something along those lines) during POST
  • I don't hear the drive spin up (though it could just be drowned out by all the other noise)
  • The master/slave jumper setting is correct (not that it would matter, the HDD is the only device on that IDE lane)
  • I tried different IDE cables, power connectors, etc.; including the same one that's on the CDROM, which (mostly) works

Interestingly, the CF-to-IDE adapter works without any issues! So it's not the IDE port/cable per se. Any ideas? The only things I could think of are: (1) all three drives are bad (which I find unlikely), or (2) the PSU is bad? I tried different power connectors, but to no avail. Also, the CDROM works (well, somewhat ... it works about half the time, the other half it just makes weird noises), and I doubt a HDD would need more power than a CDROM. I don't have another machine with IDE ports, so unfortunately I can't test the drives themselves. Any ideas?

I guess I can live with the CF adapter for now, but I'd really like to get an HDD working. Also, I'm really curious as to what the issue could be. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reply 2 of 10, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dbo wrote on 2021-10-16, 23:45:
Hello! New user here. […]
Show full quote

Hello! New user here.

• ... but when booting I get "Master Hard Drive failure" (or something along those lines) during POST
  • I don't hear the drive spin up (though it could just be drowned out by all the other noise)

...I'm really curious as to what the issue could be. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome.

You say the drive is detected in the bios correctly, This indicates it has powered up. I would try to verify this by taking it out of the computer and putting your ear against it. At any rate that error is not familiar to me. Can you post the exact message?

I'm assuming you are not trying to boot from a drive that has not been formatted and had the system files transferred to it.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 3 of 10, by dbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You say the drive is detected in the bios correctly, This indicates it has powered up. I would try to verify this by taking it out of the computer and putting your ear against it. At any rate that error is not familiar to me. Can you post the exact message?

The "Auto-detect IDE Hard Disks" page in the BIOS seems to find the disk:

PXL_20211017_001823671.jpg
Filename
PXL_20211017_001823671.jpg
File size
864.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But when I reboot the POST fails with "Primary master hard disk fail / Press DEL to enter BIOS or F1 to continue":

PXL_20211017_002111921.jpg
Filename
PXL_20211017_002111921.jpg
File size
427.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm not anywhere near installing or booting an OS from it at that point, really seems to be a HW issue.

As for the PSU - I did open it to clean it, but I didn't see any obviously blown or bulging capacitors in there. There was some kind of weird waxy resin-like substance all over the place though, like dried glue. Not sure if that was supposed to be there or not, or where it came from.

Reply 5 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could boot Puppy Linux off a CD-R and check the SMART data of the HDD.
Edit: Assuming the cdrom will read discs of course 🤣. Might want to find a cheap spare from Goodwill or your equivalent, its handy having a Puppy disk laying around and spare wifi/ ethernet cards for troubleshooting hardware.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 10, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[…]
Show full quote
  • The BIOS "Detect IDE hard drives" screen finds the HDD with the correct size ...
  • The master/slave jumper setting is correct (not that it would matter, the HDD is the only device on that IDE lane)
  • I tried different IDE cables, power connectors, etc.; including the same one that's on the CDROM, which (mostly) works

Welcome! I'd guess the PCB on those HDD were still fine so the BIOS could detect their types and C/H/S correctly but their motor(s) of platters and/or heads might be faulty.

Interestingly, the CF-to-IDE adapter works without any issues! So it's not the IDE port/cable per se. Any ideas? The only things I could think of are: (1) all three drives are bad (which I find unlikely), or (2) the PSU is bad? I tried different power connectors, but to no avail. Also, the CDROM works (well, somewhat ... it works about half the time, the other half it just makes weird noises), and I doubt a HDD would need more power than a CDROM. I don't have another machine with IDE ports, so unfortunately I can't test the drives themselves. Any ideas?

Most optical drives need up to 20W, while 3.5" HDD, even high performance 7200 rpm large (137 GB and more) ones, need no more than 10W. Most 2.5" HDD need only 5W.
Therefore if the CD-ROM works fine with the same Molex connector I wouldn't assume the problem is due to the PSU.

I guess I can live with the CF adapter for now, but I'd really like to get an HDD working. Also, I'm really curious as to what the issue could be. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If you're interested into retro computing in a long term, PATA-to-USB adapters (a 40-pin adapter often comes with an additional power brick for Molex) will be very useful, allowing HDD and ODD to be tested or partitioned on modern computers.

Reply 7 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Solid advice. I might also add a bootable pci Sata card.
Using modern new SATA drives is really nice, and you bypass any weird issues with the integrated IDE. I have had some boards with just buggy IDE, so a Promise TX150 card ended up being the best option on my Dual Socket 370 P3 (Via).

It was $5 on Fleabay, and suddenly my 120gb HDD limit was gone and there wasn't anymore data corruption!

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While you can do a detect of the drive in the bios, can't you set the bios to just autodetect it on boot? If that's the way it's set and still doesn't boot, just ignore this. 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-17, 08:43:

While you can do a detect of the drive in the bios, can't you set the bios to just autodetect it on boot? If that's the way it's set and still doesn't boot, just ignore this. 😀

Well he says it derects it, but has issues. Has a new bios, early CPU to rule out that issue. At least his CF cards seem stable.

Reply 10 of 10, by dbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2021-10-17, 03:25:

Welcome! I'd guess the PCB on those HDD were still fine so the BIOS could detect their types and C/H/S correctly but their motor(s) of platters and/or heads might be faulty.

Thanks! Would be disappointing if all three disks are bad, but I guess you never know with these old things.

Most optical drives need up to 20W, while 3.5" HDD, even high performance 7200 rpm large (137 GB and more) ones, need no more than 10W. Most 2.5" HDD need only 5W.
Therefore if the CD-ROM works fine with the same Molex connector I wouldn't assume the problem is due to the PSU.

I see. Yeah, I'm hoping the PSU holds up 😃

If you're interested into retro computing in a long term, PATA-to-USB adapters (a 40-pin adapter often comes with an additional power brick for Molex) will be very useful, allowing HDD and ODD to be tested or partitioned on modern computers.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll try one of those.

^ Solid advice. I might also add a bootable pci Sata card.
Using modern new SATA drives is really nice, and you bypass any weird issues with the integrated IDE. I have had some boards with just buggy IDE, so a Promise TX150 card ended up being the best option on my Dual Socket 370 P3 (Via).

Interesting, I might give that a try as well. I have an old 2.5" SATA drive lying around that I could use.

Anyway, thanks all, that's giving me a few avenues to pursue. I'll keep you posted!