VOGONS

First post, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't find any information about how much soundblaster soundfont memory is being used by games that support it.

It would not make much sense to put more memory into the 30-pin-SIMM sockets (or the SIMMCON) than actually gets used.
2x1MB 30pin or 4MB 72pin costs next to nothing.
Larger memories are quite expensive and a waste of money if they aren't going tho be used.

So the question arises, what soundfont memory size should be considered as appropriate for gaming use?

Reply 1 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Final Fantasy VII uses a 4 MB custom soundfont on AWE cards. I don't know of any game that needs more than that.

But if we're talking about using the soundfont for General MIDI music in DOS games, then things are a bit different. You generally want to max the memory out since larger soundfonts use less compression and sound crisper. Personally, I'm ok with using Creative's own GM35REVC.SF2 as a general purpose soundfont on AWE cards. It takes up slightly less than 4 MB RAM. Others swear by the Masterpiece soundfont which is slightly above 25 MB.

BTW, if you're mostly interested in using soundfonts for DOS gaming, get a SBLive or an Audigy card. Those can load soundfonts into system RAM and the only size limitation comes from your total RAM size. I'm a fan of Patch93's SC-55 soundfont (around 46 MB) which gives a decent approximation of the real thing.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-10-22, 14:48:

I didn't find any information about how much soundblaster soundfont memory is being used by games that support it.

That's because generally games don't expect you to have any memory added into your AWE. They're using you card as a device to play General MIDI, but which GM soundfont you're using is up to you — it could be as large as 28MB. If you're not using anything, the card just uses its default soundfont stored in the ROM, so extra RAM is not required at all.

If you do want to use soundfonts, remember that with something like AWE32/AWE64 you'll be loading the soundfont into memory every time you boot into Windows, which is pretty slow. I found that even though I like something like Masterpiece, Chorium, Weeds and others, I don't like adding a minute or so to my boot time. Also, keep in mind that SF2 soundfonts are only useable in Windows 9x, not DOS 6.22 or Win3.x.

I think 8MB is kind of a sweet spot. I like Creative's default 8MBGMSFX.sf2 that comes on the AWE setup disk, honestly. I also think most of the soundfonts that were relevant for gamers in the 90s were actually SBKs and generally they are 4–8MB as well. I'm talking about stuff like Advent, Fantasy2, etc. Voice Crystal's SF2 is 4MB as well. So there's still some

Then again I think it's nice to be able to try bigger soundfonts at least once. 32MB FPM SIMM72 module certainly is more expensive than 8MB, but compared to the price of the card itself I think it's negligible.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-22, 16:50:

Can you enumerate some of these SBK soundfonts you alluded to? Always looking for more to try out

I have five downloaded, but I'm yet to try them, actually. If I'm not mistaken, SBK files can be used under plain DOS, so I'm going to try them eventually. Let me know if you have anything to add 😀

Here are all of them. I can't remember where I've found them. I think I came across a mention of one of the files in the Usenet archives and then just found an FTP mirror with the whole set.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote on 2021-10-22, 15:44:

If you're not using anything, the card just uses its default soundfont stored in the ROM, so extra RAM is not required at all.

If you do want to use soundfonts, [...] keep in mind that SF2 soundfonts are only useable in Windows 9x, not DOS 6.22 or Win3.x.

So it is not possible to replace the ROM sounds by loading a soundfont when booting DOS?
Or is this only in regard to SF2, not to SBK (see below)?

(Btw, I don't care about long DOS boot time, as it is long anyway because of SCSI BIOS device search etc. Thus a minute for uploading the soundfont to the card would be fine with me.)

jheronimus wrote on 2021-10-22, 15:44:

I think 8MB is kind of a sweet spot. I like Creative's default 8MBGMSFX.sf2 that comes on the AWE setup disk, honestly. I also think most of the soundfonts that were relevant for gamers in the 90s were actually SBKs and generally they are 4–8MB as well. I'm talking about stuff like Advent, Fantasy2, etc. Voice Crystal's SF2 is 4MB as well.

Good news for me, as I have a CT3600 and several 30pin 4MB modules here. So no urgent need to buy other hardware 😀

jheronimus wrote on 2021-10-22, 17:13:

I have five downloaded, but I'm yet to try them, actually. If I'm not mistaken, SBK files can be used under plain DOS, so I'm going to try them eventually. Let me know if you have anything to add 😀

Here are all of them.

Big thanks for that 😀 Will have a great time trying them all 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you enumerate some of these SBK soundfonts you alluded to? Always looking for more to try out

Here are all of them. I can't remember where I've found them. I think I came across a mention of one of the files in the Usenet archives and then just found an FTP mirror with the whole set.

I tried all of them. My favorite is MonoGM2 with Fantasy2 being a close second.

Reply 9 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks grabbed them. Have not tried any other than those from Awe32/Awe64 original cd's. When I have time will try a few...
Here is an archive of a bunch of diff Sound Font banks: https://archive.org/download/free-soundfonts-sf2-2019-04
It does have the Roland_SC-55_v2.2_by_Patch93_and_xan1242.sf2 45.1M

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun