VOGONS

First post, by Stormkoko934

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to buy an oem cd to install windows 98 on my retro pc and was wondering if cds bundled like this would work on any pc.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
202.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Win98, I don't think there were any complex hardware checks, so probably. Might be lightened a bit and not include the generic drivers Dell never thought they would need, but also include install of drivers for hardware Dell did use. XP up, hardware checks got more rigorous I think.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FSC (Fujitsu Siemens) OEM CDs do hardware checking, so only buy/use them after you made sure they match the computer in question.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-24, 13:12:

XP up, hardware checks got more rigorous I think.

I have been using a Dell XP OEM CD for years and it never complained no matter which system.
The OEM garbage bloat is a bit annoying, installing this takes far the most time of the whole install (and there is no way of opting this out).

Reply 3 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used an OEM XP Professional on this one, it installed, but I didn't bother activating it so far. But I don't know what kind of PC is it for (if it's for any specific brand). Neither on the packing nor on the manual there is only MS branding. I have unopened Fujitsu-Siemens OEM XP Prof. and Gateway XP Home, but I kept them unopened. Those have Fujitsu-Siemens and Gateway branding all over the disks, so I'd assume they are picky.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 9, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Windows 98 CD-ROM that came with my Aptiva at the time refuses to install on my Compaq Deskpro, so there's clearly some kind of hardware check going on (BIOS?).

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 5 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is just a generic OEM bundle with just a DELL sticker attached, so yes it will work on other systems.
If you are caraful you stream that sticker off wihout damaging the booklet and nobody would be the wiser.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-10-24, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everyone is getting on a good point. In the Windows 95/Windows 98 days, OEMs, particularly "white box" generic PCs, tended to bundle clean Windows 95/98 install media as well as all the drivers for the hardware. I suppose in the Windows 98 timeframe and especially by XP, everything transitioned to those restore CDs (and then taking away even the CDs!) with all the bloat--Dell being a holdout for a long time. Those restore CDs do tend to have hardware checks in them, while the clean Windows install CDs did not. Another advantage of a generic no-name PC back in the 90s is they tended to use standard Baby AT boards and cases, while brand-name ones like Packard Bell would use proprietary LPX components.

Reply 7 of 9, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Dell recover CD for XP. Basically it's an XP install cd, but with some little bloat for OEM support stuff. It does install on any pc that runs XP, no other drivers left away.

Key is, in the right Dell PC, it automatically is activated, but in any other it is not. It can be activated using the standard procedures.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 8 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HP's WinXP CD's were pretty good if you knew the trick.
If you booted off the Windows CD it would just need the "system restore" cd for verification then ask for the Windows CD back and continue with a generic install.
That was for the business class computers, the home market always fell cheap so may not have worked

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-10-24, 20:18:

I've got a Dell recover CD for XP. Basically it's an XP install cd, but with some little bloat for OEM support stuff. It does install on any pc that runs XP, no other drivers left away.

Key is, in the right Dell PC, it automatically is activated, but in any other it is not. It can be activated using the standard procedures.

Yeah, it has to do with the SLIC being built into the BIOS. Other OEMs do the same sort of thing but the OEM SLIC key is going to be different from my understanding.
https://itstillworks.com/microsoft-access-inv … al-7372625.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK