VOGONS

First post, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, recently I've put together 3 DOS/Win98SE based machines, everything's working fine...except 1 little problem, I can't get any USB mouse (A4 Tech X-718BK) to work in a proper DOS mode (6.22). I've tried every driver I could find, even tried with a converter and no success. Does anyone have any suggestions which mouse should I go for (ebay) , preferably ps/2 & hopefully decent drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by maverick1234 on 2021-10-25, 19:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's PS/2 you're good any way. I like Logitech.
Maybe you could avoid any ball mouse and get yourself an optical mouse instead, and specifically one with a scroll wheel.
Also, a lot of usb mice (among them quite modern ones) also can still be connected with a usb-ps/2 adapter. If you've got the adapter, just give it a try with another mouse.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DOS stuff I prefer serial mice. No practical reason behind it, it just feels right for me. Genius, Logitech, A4Tech and Microsoft are safe choices.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 7, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Perixx mouse with PS/2, which they still apparently make new, for like $10 USD. Feels like it moves faster or otherwise feels stranger than using a ball mouse in 98/dos, though, but that might be me either being more used to my modern systems (this was early into my retro dive) or just not tweaking things good enough.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 4 of 7, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse comes with a USB-PS/2 adapter in the box, and the mouse works perfectly under pure DOS (6.22 and earlier) with mouse.com 8.20.

I haven't tested those adapters on every USB mouse I have, but I'm sure they don't work on some (if not all) non-Microsoft USB mice. Don't know how a simple adapter can be that picky.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had to google A4 Tech X-718BK that's a modern gaming mouse almost guaranteed to have dropped PS2 compatibility.
Just about any modern DPI mouse has dropped PS2 compatibility these days. I'm not sure what the last Logitech mouse with PS2 support.

Personally I just use OEM branded PS2 mice HP used MS, Dell used Logitech. No software needed but you do only get 2 buttons and the scroll wheel.