VOGONS

Reply 20 of 57, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I left Prime95 run for 40 minutes with RAM almost completely filled/allocated and no problem. I also tried again 3Dmark99. Conlusion: It just works.

First graph as in the picture: CPU utilization
Second: Allocated memory
Third: Free RAM

Attachments

• Prime95.png
    Filename
    Prime95.png
    File size
    27.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 23 of 57, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few weeks ago i was doing my usual walk around the hood.
Noticed small beige PC case on the sidewalk.
Usually don't pick-up stuff off the street, but size/shape/color registered.
Peeked inside - full PC gear with Jefway J-542A motherboard, which i think is a carbon copy of the one in question here.
Seems to be working, but didn't have time to give it a proper spin yet. Hope to get to it at some point soon.
So the info in this thread is right on time.
Thanks,

retro bits and bytes

Reply 24 of 57, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2021-10-29, 19:22:
If that isn't super, then I don't know what is :P […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-10-29, 17:53:
I’m blown away at the fact that you got it to do 1.5gb!! […]
Show full quote
elcrys wrote on 2021-10-29, 17:41:

64MB - what is this?! That's for some kind of calculator? And why settle for a meagre 1 GB when you can have full 1.5 GB 😁
Sadly I don't have any 1 GB modules for "proper" testing, but I hope it will be enough 😀 My board is ver 3.2 and it was quite fun testing it. I only had to enable write combining via k6dos.sys, otherwise write performance in Speedsys was completely crippled. Now the performance is as it should be and RAM is fully cached with K6-2+.

I’m blown away at the fact that you got it to do 1.5gb!!

Holy crap!

And you make the suggestion that it can do 3gb?!?! I’m so going to try that!! Lmfao

Okay, so something that I ran into once was on 430hx I was able to get it to show 768mb of ram but it didn’t actually have the ability to use it. It would pass a memtest 86+ test but when I tried using it for windows, os installers, programs, etc it would glitch as soon as it tried to write something above 512mb

Can you fill that ram up with unique data and confirm it’s stable? Because some benchmarks won’t detect that problem

If that isn't super, then I don't know what is 😜

Btw, with 32 chip SDRAM you mean those with 16 chips on each side that are twice as tall as standard ones?
Because I always kinda wondered what those were used for. I know I have one or two in my stash somewhere, but they were low density (so total memory size was maybe 128MB or so, so not of particularly much use).
The ones I had iirc weren't registered or anything.

Oh I think I’ve seen those the ones with little reiser boards?

Idk, I don’t fully understand the different ram configs but it’s like some motherboards like different internal chip configurations rows/colums

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 25 of 57, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elcrys wrote on 2021-10-29, 21:54:
So I left Prime95 run for 40 minutes with RAM almost completely filled/allocated and no problem. I also tried again 3Dmark99. Co […]
Show full quote

So I left Prime95 run for 40 minutes with RAM almost completely filled/allocated and no problem. I also tried again 3Dmark99. Conlusion: It just works.

First graph as in the picture: CPU utilization
Second: Allocated memory
Third: Free RAM

Woohoo!! Try 3gb?

majestyk wrote on 2021-10-30, 07:39:

What´s the revision of the northbridge on this board?

I’m not sure yet on mine

pshipkov wrote on 2021-10-30, 22:12:
Few weeks ago i was doing my usual walk around the hood. Noticed small beige PC case on the sidewalk. Usually don't pick-up stuf […]
Show full quote

Few weeks ago i was doing my usual walk around the hood.
Noticed small beige PC case on the sidewalk.
Usually don't pick-up stuff off the street, but size/shape/color registered.
Peeked inside - full PC gear with Jefway J-542A motherboard, which i think is a carbon copy of the one in question here.
Seems to be working, but didn't have time to give it a proper spin yet. Hope to get to it at some point soon.
So the info in this thread is right on time.
Thanks,

Ooo sweet! Post results of testing! :p what processors are you gonna try in it?

I’m gonna try a tillamook and a k6 3+ to start

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 26 of 57, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have prior experience with S7/SS7.
Avoided them entirely until a month ago. 😀
Don't have much of this hardware.

Found K6-2+/550ACZ and Pentium-MMX 233 (P55C, 2.8V) CPUs. Remember buying the Pentium-MMX one 3-4 years ago in a local flea market for $1. Finally the investment paid-off.
Setup the processors to 300MHz (3x100), with the MMX being the limiting factor. While the K6 can do 700+MHz there is no lights after 100x4 with this motherboard. Need to drill some more into that.
The board does not allow less than 2.2V, so ran the K6 on that.
MMX needed 2.9V to handle properly 300MHz.
Used a 256Mb 2-2-2 memory stick with Micron chips.
Burned the latest C02.1 BIOS. All settings on max.
Had trouble getting any of the good AGP video cards to work with this Jetway J-542A guy.
Settled on ELSA ERASOR Victory (Riva128). There was S3 Trio2D/2X in that PC case that i looted, but since i did only brief round of DOS stuff only VGA core matters anyway.

So here is what i got:

MMX (300MHz)   K6-2+ (300MHz)
PCPBench (fps) 80 95.1
Doom (fps) 137.1 131.7
Quake 1 (fps) 71.7 54.2
3D Studio R3 (sec) 27 29 <- lower is better

PC Player Benchmark is a flaky test, but indicated that K6 may be better at FPU handling in some way, so ran a proper FPU test - 3D Studio R3 rendering - it was not the case. 😉

I kind of like this humble AT/ATX SIMM/DIMM motherboard.
Main issue right now is that there is no lights past 400MHz.
Didn't bother with Windows and accelerated 3D graphics tests, since not sure what to do about this dismal S7/AGP situation.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 27 of 57, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pshipkov wrote on 2021-10-31, 21:50:
I don't have prior experience with S7/SS7. Avoided them entirely until a month ago. :) Don't have much of this hardware. […]
Show full quote

I don't have prior experience with S7/SS7.
Avoided them entirely until a month ago. 😀
Don't have much of this hardware.

Found K6-2+/550ACZ and Pentium-MMX 233 (P55C, 2.8V) CPUs. Remember buying the Pentium-MMX one 3-4 years ago in a local flea market for $1. Finally the investment paid-off.
Setup the processors to 300MHz (3x100), with the MMX being the limiting factor. While the K6 can do 700+MHz there is no lights after 100x4 with this motherboard. Need to drill some more into that.
The board does not allow less than 2.2V, so ran the K6 on that.
MMX needed 2.9V to handle properly 300MHz.
Used a 256Mb 2-2-2 memory stick with Micron chips.
Burned the latest C02.1 BIOS. All settings on max.
Had trouble getting any of the good AGP video cards to work with this Jetway J-542A guy.
Settled on ELSA ERASOR Victory (Riva128). There was S3 Trio2D/2X in that PC case that i looted, but since i did only brief round of DOS stuff only VGA core matters anyway.

So here is what i got:

MMX (300MHz)   K6-2+ (300MHz)
PCPBench (fps) 80 95.1
Doom (fps) 137.1 131.7
Quake 1 (fps) 71.7 54.2
3D Studio R3 (sec) 27 29 <- lower is better

PC Player Benchmark is a flaky test, but indicated that K6 may be better at FPU handling in some way, so ran a proper FPU test - 3D Studio R3 rendering - it was not the case. 😉

I kind of like this humble AT/ATX SIMM/DIMM motherboard.
Main issue right now is that there is no lights past 400MHz.
Didn't bother with Windows and accelerated 3D graphics tests, since not sure what to do about this dismal S7/AGP situation.

Can you post a pic of front and back for comparason. If they are indeed identical maybe should look into which one has the best bios 🤔

Try the 2x setting. On that k6 2x equals 6x

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 28 of 57, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The image in the first post is lowrez. Initially looked to me like identical board but there are differences.
Will post a picture tomorrow of the one here.
Can you share your bios please ?
The latest jet way bios (provided by win3x.org) for this board does not recognize k6+ cpus properly. May have other side effects too.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 30 of 57, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd urge some caution on BIOS swapping (unless you have a programmer, or are comfortable with hot swap flashes) - On Jan's page he has BIOS for the J-542 B and C that support the K6-+, but nothing for the A, so there may be a hardware reason for that.
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 32 of 57, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-01, 21:33:

I'd urge some caution on BIOS swapping (unless you have a programmer, or are comfortable with hot swap flashes) - On Jan's page he has BIOS for the J-542 B and C that support the K6-+, but nothing for the A, so there may be a hardware reason for that.

I have a programmer. I actually got the board today and one of the first things I did was to update the bios to the latest beta on the motherboard database

pshipkov wrote on 2021-11-01, 20:57:

So this is what i got: motherboard_486_jetway_j-542a.jpg

yeah that is a little different

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 33 of 57, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of years ago I had a B version of this board. It worked fine with a regular K6 but slowed down to around 30-40% of normal speed with a K6+ which is why it was sold. One of the differences with the A version may be that the B has an option for onboard sound.

jet-rev3.JPG
Filename
jet-rev3.JPG
File size
493.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 57, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-01, 21:33:

Seriously, bios swapping is the last resort for anything!
Those BIOS support bootblock recovery anyhow.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-11-04, 01:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 57, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2021-11-03, 04:02:

A couple of years ago I had a B version of this board. It worked fine with a regular K6 but slowed down to around 30-40% of normal speed with a K6+ which is why it was sold. One of the differences with the A version may be that the B has an option for onboard sound.
jet-rev3.JPG

Was that with the stock BIOS or Jan's patched one? I ask because Jan notes on his page that the stock BIOS doesn't enable WA.

Reply 36 of 57, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgot to report.
Burned the latest BIOS from Jan's page. It was year 2005.
Suddenly K6+ is recognized properly and the board lights up beyond the 300MHz CPU frequency. Initially it used to go dark past that.
Performance feels good, but i don't have enough sample data to compare really - hard metrics are sparse around here. 😉
Checked the board at 6x100 which is the maximum it can do - handles it well.
Few numbers for reference - will do a proper investigation later.
Default Phil bench stuff:
Wolf3D - 243.1 fps
PCPBench 320x240 - 177.4 fps
Doom: 167.5 fps
Quake 1: 100.8 fps
complex compute (3d studio r3, chevy.3ds scene) - 16 sec.

The board absolutely refuses to use anything but early AGP cards which makes tests like 3D Mark 200# pointless. Anything above GF256 does not happen on it.
Will run QGL, WinTune2, LW3D tests in Win95 later.
Btw, any hint on good/best early AGP card - they all kind of suck really, but still.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 37 of 57, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here´s my own J-542C, it has the "G"-revision of the M1542 northbridge and ATA66 support.

Jetway_J_542C.jpg
Filename
Jetway_J_542C.jpg
File size
260.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Since the G-revision had several bugs fixed, the internal Tag-RAM can be used without restrictions so there was no need for a seperate external one.

Reply 38 of 57, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-03, 04:43:

jet-rev3.JPG

Was that with the stock BIOS or Jan's patched one? I ask because Jan notes on his page that the stock BIOS doesn't enable WA.

Sorry, I can't remember.
But it reads:
[This BIOS supports K6plus but doesn't enable Write-Allocation on -any- K6.]
Should that have made such a difference between a regular and a + cpu ?

Reply 39 of 57, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2021-11-03, 11:12:
Sorry, I can't remember. But it reads: [This BIOS supports K6plus but doesn't enable Write-Allocation on -any- K6.] Should tha […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-03, 04:43:

jet-rev3.JPG

Sorry, I can't remember.
But it reads:
[This BIOS supports K6plus but doesn't enable Write-Allocation on -any- K6.]
Should that have made such a difference between a regular and a + cpu ?

TBH, I'm not sure - I know it makes a performance difference, but whether it would be sufficient to explain your situation I can't say (it seems doubtful to me).