VOGONS

Reply 80 of 82, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2023-12-09, 12:38:

I'm also interested in makes other than the "big two" (e.g. currently toying around with a Via Chrome9/WinME combo - would not recommend tho).

I also find less successful brands fascinating. S3 is very close to my heart as the biggest of the underdog brands. Ever ambitious, but never could quite live up to their promises once hardware accelerated 3D became the standard. The Virge was a promising 3D accelerator suffering from poor support, the Savage3D would have been a decent competitor against other 1st gen 3D accelerators like the Riva 128, Voodoo1 and PCX1, but came late and had poor drivers, the Savage 4 similarly would have done well against the TNT, but came late, the Savage 2000 was on time against the Geforce and the Radeon and it's performance was okay, but had faulty T&L and poor drivers and their last hurrah, the DeltaChrome was also a decent design, but came late with unrefined drivers. They could have beaten the Geforce FX even if ATI was out of their reach. After that they gave up on competing, they came out with a few budget cards for OEM partners then VIA sold them to some mobile chipset manufacturer.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 81 of 82, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many video cards / VGA cards or GPUs do you have?

I will know when I do the inventory... Like never - it's mission impossible 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 82 of 82, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-12-09, 12:38:

Seems most people here fall into the "only what they need, and no more" or "entirely too many" categories? Anyways, I have maybe around 20 atm. Not gonna make a list, but I'm trying to cover about every other generation (decent compatibility, not too much clutter) and I'm also interested in makes other than the "big two" (e.g. currently toying around with a Via Chrome9/WinME combo - would not recommend tho).

I think I fall somewhere in between. I have bought all of my retro hardware for a purpose or as specific use. In some cases, I replaced hardware with something better so now I have something extra. In other cases, the hardware I bought didn't work out as I'd hoped, but I kept it for perhaps another project.

I don't hoard, per se, but I hate to get rid of working equipment if I might have a future use for it.