VOGONS

First post, by jm8881

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a cf to ide adapter and it works great. But it is a gamble using it to transfer files between my win 10 computer and my win 98 computer. It will occasionally corrupt after I have safely ejected it from my win 10 computer but I won't know until I put it back into the win 98 computer and it won't boot. Putting it back into the windows 10 pc and it says I need to format the disk.

I have used 3 different usb cf card readers on my win 10 computer and they all have had this same random issue.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Would a better cf card help? It's an 8gb sandisk ultra.

Reply 2 of 4, by jm8881

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mekamayhem wrote on 2021-10-31, 06:23:

Hmm that's interesting as I couldn't use the CF card on Windows 10 at all. I guess it was FAT 16 or 32 formatted. I just got an Isa network card and moved files that way. (win 95)

It's formatted fat 32 but win 10 allows for formatting smaller drives in fat 32.

Reply 3 of 4, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use one of these and it has yet to fail me or pull anything funny, granted anything I mean to format for Win98 gets it done using my Linux laptop so I can be sure it sets everything right.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win X might use another type of LBA than the Win 98 here.

Windows 9x and DOS 7.x work differently when it comes to LBA, too.

Windows 9x usually loads its protected-mode driver for HDDs that tries to detect true drive geometry.
The underlying DOS 7.x can use any LBA values the BIOS reports, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//