VOGONS

First post, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!
I'm working in getting my 5x86 / VLB build up and running, but I'm struggling with the VLB IDE controller/IO card I have.

PXL_20211102_103304661.jpg
Filename
PXL_20211102_103304661.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File comment
Full view of the VLB card. Front.
File license
Public domain

This is the card. It comes from a junk box: no manual, nothing written on it that might help me search for infos. I searched for a similar one here https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/c/cvesa_i.htm but couldn't come up with much. There is a chance that it is broken, but it's possible it's also a misconfiguration.

The situation is the following: I can boot of an IDE drive (CF or SD2IDE) if I disable the 32bit xfer mode in the BIOS and I enable LBA mode and block transfer mode. As soon as I enable 32bit transfers, I get "DISK NOT READY" when trying to boot.
I also tried using the xtide BIOS, but apparently that one automatically enables 32bit transfers for this card so, while it detects the drive, it always fails to boot off it with an error "no boot sector found".

Moving around the card in different slots makes no difference.
Replacing the card with a basic 16-bit IDE controller works just fine (obviously, no 32bit transfer in this case).

The mainboard is currently set with 33Mhz FSB.

BTW, the motherboard I'm using is this one https://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/5474, Also attaching the BIOS I dumped off of it.
I actually replaced the BIOS with the one from here https://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/5551, as the AWARD BIOS borked with the 5x86 set at 4x multiplier (rarely coming up as "unknown cpu" or "386SX", often hanging). The AMI one seems to work just fine.

Another note: I'm currently using a VLB VGA card, GD5428 based. Doesn't seem to show any issue.

Anyone ever seem a card similar to this one? Any info, jumper tables, whatever?

Attachments

• Filename
    sis_award_bios_27C512.zip
    File size
    44.84 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File comment
    Unknown A486DX4/SIS Award BIOS dump
    File license
    Public domain
  • PXL_20211102_103337624.jpg
    Filename
    PXL_20211102_103337624.jpg
    File size
    834.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Closeup of the partially covered FD controller.
    File license
    Public domain
  • PXL_20211102_103335178.jpg
    Filename
    PXL_20211102_103335178.jpg
    File size
    922.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Closeup of the partially covered IDE controller.
    File license
    Public domain
  • PXL_20211102_103313395.jpg
    Filename
    PXL_20211102_103313395.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Full view of the VLB card. Back.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more testing done, still no results.

I switched back to the AWARD BIOS, then attempted to use the DOS driver (attached) to enable 32bit mode on this controller.

When the driver loads, the computer stops for a while, then reports errors and corruption in the CONFIG.SYS file. If i try to launch a "dir" command once the boot completes, I simply get garbled data.
I tried to disable "turbo" mode on the controller via driver's switches, and also to set the speed of the drive to the minimum (BTW, the driver reports a jumper setting that enables Turbo mode and the fastest speed for the drive).

I redid all the above tests with 1WS enabled on the VL-bus. No change.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a look for any matching boards and couldn't just see one. Looks like the PDC20230 has some pin settings for HDD speed. Found a manual for a FIC 486-JAL that has one built in and that has jumper settings specifically for the PDC, for HDD speed (J16&J17) and CPU speed (J18). I'm thinking that maybe (and this is pretty unlikely) JP2&3 on your board are for HDD speed, assuming they route to pins on the PDC. On the FIC board then 1-2,1-2 is Speed 2, and 2-3,2-3 is Speed 0. Moving them probably won't break anything.

Taking a quick wild stab at jumpers:
JP1 - HDD activity LED?
JP2&3 - HDD speed?
JP4-9 - Factory hard wired. Floppy drive settings?
JP10 - HDD base address?
JP11 - Looks like if the jumpers are put horizontally it swaps round IRQ3&4 inputs to the FDC37C652
JP12-16 Factory hard wired. More floppy settings (they look to connects to the Motor/Drive select pins)
JP17 - can't see
JP18 - Factory hard wired. Might be FDC DMA related?
JP19,21 - LPT port settings?
JP20,22 - COM port settings?
JP23 -LPT IRQ select?
JP24,25 - Dunno, something to do with IRQ 1 & 3?
JP26 - dunno
W1-3 - dunno

Of course there could be a bug in the board design. There's a weird trace that just comes to a stop near the ISA connector, but runs off toward the PDC chip.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-03, 14:16:

Had a look for any matching boards and couldn't just see one. Looks like the PDC20230 has some pin settings for HDD speed. Found a manual for a FIC 486-JAL that has one built in and that has jumper settings specifically for the PDC, for HDD speed (J16&J17) and CPU speed (J18). I'm thinking that maybe (and this is pretty unlikely) JP2&3 on your board are for HDD speed, assuming they route to pins on the PDC. On the FIC board then 1-2,1-2 is Speed 2, and 2-3,2-3 is Speed 0. Moving them probably won't break anything.
[...]

Good catch on that trace, impressive!
Tried to swap JP2/3, but made no difference. Actually tried most of the other jumpers too.
I'm starting to wonder if this board is actually partially dead, at least the VLB part...

Reply 6 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just read this thread and mkarcher pointed out that the GD542x family only use 16 bits: Good VLB card benchmark

So it's possible the problem isn't with this controller card. Don't suppose you've got another VLB motherboard to test it with? Or a card that definitely uses 32bits?

Reply 7 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-03, 16:30:

Just read this thread and mkarcher pointed out that the GD542x family only use 16 bits: Good VLB card benchmark

So it's possible the problem isn't with this controller card. Don't suppose you've got another VLB motherboard to test it with? Or a card that definitely uses 32bits?

That's a very good point, the motherboard could be faulty.
I do have other VLB motherboards, though they are in unknown shape, need to test them. Hopefully at least one will be in good enough shape.

As for other cards, I think I might have one or two SCSI controllers for VLB. Will have to search for 50 pin cables to connect something to them.

Interestingly, the PD2030 drivers for DOS have a flag to force the card in 16-bit data access mode, but even using that I get the same issue

Reply 8 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dug out a VLB SCSI controller: an NXT-80 and a SCSI2SD to go with it.

PXL_20211103_183655794.jpg
Filename
PXL_20211103_183655794.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File comment
NXT-80, front
File license
Public domain

I've been able to format a drive connected to this card, run benchmarks, copy to and from said disk. No issue...

BTW, Maybe I should dump the BIOS on it while I have it on the desk...

Attachments

• Filename
    NXT-80_bios_27C128.zip
    File size
    7.8 KiB
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File comment
    NXT-80 Bios
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so 32bit likely working on the motherboard. Not sure then. Without a datasheet for the PDC (I can't find one) then difficult to know what any signal should be doing. Might be worth lifting that sticker on the back that's covering some of the VLB data lines to make sure there aren't any breaks, and to see where that weird dangling trace goes. Beyond that I'd probably start checking if those 5 74 series logic chips are all functioning properly, but I don't know if that can be done in place or if you'd have to remove them. Have you checked to make sure there aren't any bad solder joints between the PDC and board (I think they look ok)?

Reply 10 of 13, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not all disks for all controllers and storage cards with adapters have incompatible transfer modes therefore if theres a mode that works than a mode that doen't in BIOS best just to use what it can and be happy.
Can be as simple as the card is too big for a particular mode or too fast transfer mode built in thats not supported.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-11-03, 21:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-03, 21:43:

Ok, so 32bit likely working on the motherboard. Not sure then. Without a datasheet for the PDC (I can't find one) then difficult to know what any signal should be doing. Might be worth lifting that sticker on the back that's covering some of the VLB data lines to make sure there aren't any breaks, and to see where that weird dangling trace goes. Beyond that I'd probably start checking if those 5 74 series logic chips are all functioning properly, but I don't know if that can be done in place or if you'd have to remove them. Have you checked to make sure there aren't any bad solder joints between the PDC and board (I think they look ok)?

Yup, tomorrow will cleanup the board from stickers and check under them, and also trace that stray track. I couldn't spot any bad joint

I could scope the signals on the 74' chips, but for such a small number it's not even worth the effort of setting up the instrumentation. I already started desoldering them: 3 out of 5 socketed and tested in a TL866 (which reported them as good... Worth trying swapping them anyway, at this point).

UPDATE: All the 74' tested ok. Swapping them provided no benefit.

Reply 12 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got hold of another VLB controller, a VL-300.
When I load the driver for 32-bit mode, I get the same issues as with the other controller. This would point to an issue with the motherboard.

EDIT:
Well well well...
Apparently I found the issue: the drivers really hate when I configure the drive as LBA in the BIOS. The VL-300 comes with an utility that checks the drive and recommends the best configuration in the BIOS, which matches the "NORMAL" disk mode.

When I repartition and reformat the drive with that, loading the board drivers works fine and I no longer get any error. Pity FDISK does no longer see the full drive but lets me use only 504 megabytes out of it.

EDIT 2:
Trying with the adaptec driver linked by Warlord in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=73525 . Seems to work fine with LBA, and I can now reach ~5.7Mb/s!

Reply 13 of 13, by tabaglio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case someone ever needs it, attaching the BIOS of the VL300, plus the reversed TIBPAL16L8 at U11.

Attachments

• Filename
    VL300_BIOS_PAL_dump.zip
    File size
    10.93 KiB
    Downloads
    22 downloads
    File comment
    VL300 BIOS + reversed PAL16L8 at U11
    File license
    Public domain