VOGONS

First post, by mathew7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I tried to put a slim laptop DVD-ROM (RW actually) with an adapter and it does not work on ISA adapters.
More specific:
- works on Pentium integrated IDE (don't have any 486)
- works on ESS1868 with IDE connector
- does not work with multi-port+IDE+FDD adapter (on 286, 386 or Pentium with integrated ones disabled)

Normal 5.25" CD/DVD drives work in all configurations, just the slim+adapter won't. Tried 3 slims (CD and DVD) with 2 adapters.
Not work = also HWINF 6.12 does not see them. Even with a primary device on the cable, which is seen (so port is present and working).
Initially I though maybe a 5V vs 3.3V issue or a CMOS vs TTL, but I see the ESS card has some lines going directly to the ISA bus (assuming data and address lines), and only some (maybe) control lines go through another chip (which got me thinking about CMOS vs TTL).
So anybody could shed some light?

The idea is that the laptop drives are smaller. That's all for using them vs desktop drives. I'm still at motherboard on desk playing.

Have a nice day!

Reply 1 of 15, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Laptop IDE drives have master/slave status set in firmware, not jumpers. This may cause problems if you have another device on the channel.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 15, by mathew7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I just tested some things, and it seems the 1st time I use it with another device on the cable, it starts responding on the same ID (M/S) as the other device (tested with ZIP and CDROM). Apparently if I switch M/S of the other device, at 1st they both appear ok in HWINFO (at least if I query the other device before the slim), but if I requery any device, they both show corrupted info.
On ESS, seems to behave like always taking the setting of the other device (corrupted IDs and only 1 device appears). But alone it just works.
So yeah...it could be a master/slave problem.
But I never intended to use it with another device. So maybe even on Pentium it will clash with another device on the cable, but works good by itself (used to copy Win install files, so no corruption has occured).

Interesting how posting motivates me to try something else!

Reply 4 of 15, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These drives use the 50-pin JAE-IDE connector that combines power, analog audio and data . On the full size drives these three things require separate connections.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 15, by mathew7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-11-03, 22:41:

These drives use the 50-pin JAE-IDE connector that combines power, analog audio and data . On the full size drives these three things require separate connections.

That's why I have an adapter. Actually 2 adapters and I tested 3 laptop drives (well, only 1 extensively, but the simple "not working" on multiport+IDE was done with the other two as well).

Reply 6 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting. I guess the adapters you have do not have a master slave jumper ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-11-04, 16:22:

No, you have to hack the drive firmware to change that.

Fairly 100% certain, you do not.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't used any adapters yet.
I can only tell you from experience with older laptops, that the same physical cd/dvdrom works in different devices as either a master or a slave, as a single drive or a slave drive to the hard disk, without any firmware or even hardware modification.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 12 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, cable select.

and let's just say that any controller/drive prior to 1994 doesn't support it.
then again, the controller doesn't even need to support, nor even care about it, with some cable hackery/magic.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 15, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-11-04, 16:35:

That sounds like cable select. Not all IDE controllers/drives support that though.

I suspect cable select is indeed the explanation. On a standard 40-pin IDE connector, CSEL is on pin 28. On the 50-pin connector, that pin is pin 47. The host is supposed to ground pin 28, and cables that support cable select are supposed to pass the ground level to one drive (master), and have a pull-up resistor pull this signal high on the other drive (slave). Possibly your old ISA IDE interface cards do not ground pin 28 as specified, and your DVD-ROM doesn't have the required pull-up resistor to pull the CSEL pin high if it is not grounded, so the drive might be in an completely inconsistent state, shifting around between being master and slave as it likes. If you have a multimeter, you should be able to check continuity between ground (e.g. on pin 26) and CSEL on pin 28 on your different IDE host variants.

Reply 14 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder a lot whether half the problems with compact flash cards and other media to IDE adapters boil down to that. But when ppl are already unfamiliar with PATA, never mind older versions of it, I feel like I may as well be yelling warnings/instructions at films of Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 15, by mathew7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2021-11-04, 17:18:

I suspect cable select is indeed the explanation. On a standard 40-pin IDE connector, CSEL is on pin 28. On the 50-pin connector, that pin is pin 47. The host is supposed to ground pin 28, and cables that support cable select are supposed to pass the ground level to one drive (master), and have a pull-up resistor pull this signal high on the other drive (slave). Possibly your old ISA IDE interface cards do not ground pin 28 as specified, and your DVD-ROM doesn't have the required pull-up resistor to pull the CSEL pin high if it is not grounded, so the drive might be in an completely inconsistent state, shifting around between being master and slave as it likes. If you have a multimeter, you should be able to check continuity between ground (e.g. on pin 26) and CSEL on pin 28 on your different IDE host variants.

Well, neither the working ESS sound card or non-working multi-io boards put pin 28 to ground. It seems to be floating (if it's connected, the trace is under the header plastic...so not likely).
But as I said, ESS only works when it's alone on cable (so CSEL is the corruption with 2 drives).
I have an extended weekend comming, so I'll try to measure other lines with oscilloscope, see what voltage ranges they use. Also I'm waiting for a simple 1-IDE-only ISA card.

As for the adapter, it's this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312587475807
It also has an audio port.