VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my persuit for optimal ITX format retro gaming, after this thing I have now gone and bought (18 months later) hopefully an upgrade. It's an ASUS K8AE-LM, I believe from some kind of HP PC (Opal-GL6E).

Where this gets confusing is it is listed as having a Radeon Xpress 200 NB with an IXP400 SB. Digging a bit deeper (and checking on the board itself) it is listed has having an RS482, which is a die shrunk RS480. The RS482 is also marketed as Radeon Xpress 200 (and with a lot of zooming I can see it says Radeon Xpress 200 on the chip. OK great everything matches up.

Then on Anandtech... https://www.anandtech.com/show/1811/2 "Whether RS482 or RS480, the performance should be essentially the same according to ATI. The RS480 is built on a .13 micron process, and the RS482 is a die-shrink to .11 micron. The chipsets are otherwise identical, except that ATI did make the move to a flip chip design in RS482. Whether it is a RS480 core or RS482 core, ATI calls the chipset Radeon Xpress 200"

However, in theory this chipset doesn't support the IXP400 SB (according to wiki), nor does it support Turion CPUs. There is definitely a Turion CPU installed in there... The HP support page for the board shows a photo of an IXP450 board and an illustation of a IXP400 board (both with RS482 chipsets)

In the Xpress 200 wiki article it says "The Radeon Xpress 200M (RS482) chipset is an upgrade to the RS480 chipset..." and also mentions support for Turion CPUs. However the article then goes on to list support for SB450 and 460 and not IXP400.

Why I care so much is for drivers, the AMD website has a Windows 98 driver for Xpress 200, but not for the Xpress 200m. I also can't seem to find chipset drivers this old for on the AMD website. However, this board could be a huge upgrade over my old one; considering it's got a 1.8GHz Turion (old board has a 800MHz VIA C3 CPU) and the RX2 graphics can run Far Cry and HL2 where the old VIA IGP could run Quake 3 just about. (DOS compatible PCI soundcard taking up the sole PCI slot in both systems!)

So which Radeon Xpress do you think I have? And does anyone know where I can find chipset drivers?

It is slightly academic at this point as the system uses a 24pin ATX mini power connection, cunningly hidden in the eBay photo so I've got an adapter on the way...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC