VOGONS

First post, by djsubtronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am trying to revive a 4/75CX. Seems like a common model around here for restoring, so I am hoping I am able to get some help.

The original HDD died, pretty sure the floppy drive is also dead.

I have tried a factory image for this model (from here: https://archive.org/details/compaqlteelite475cxwindows3.1.7z) on both a second 2 GB HDD from a different laptop, and a CompactFlash card using a CF-IDE adapter. However, I keep getting a message after the memory check saying "missing operating system" and nothing boots.

What I noticed though, I do get the blinking square on the top right (which I think indicates that the BIOS there?), but I cannot access the BIOS pressing F10 - I just immediately get the "missing operating system" message.

I've also tried creating an MS-DOS 6.22 image in VirtualBox and then writing that VHD to the HDD/CF but again, same error message (and no blinking square on top right with this image).

Any ideas on how I can get this to boot?

Reply 1 of 2, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you are unfortunately hosed without the floppy drive. the hard drive geometry has to be configured with the setup disk so you at least need the floppy drive working, or else would need to write your image to the exact hard disk geometry the failed disk had.

(this may be possible to set up when preparing the CF card, depending)