VOGONS

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

I've got a bit of a problem connecting my consoles to a PC monitor.

I've currently got PS2, PS3, PS4, original Xbox, X360 and Xbox One in my collection. They are all connected t0 an 8-port HDMI switcher, which is plugged into a PC monitor. The monitor has a headphone jack to which a pair of computer speakers are connected. I also have a gaming PC connected to the same monitor via DVI cable.

Most of my consoles work great, however PS2 and original Xbox give me "shaky" image. Both consoles use third-party HDMI cables. I'm not sure what the problem is (deinterlacing? resolution incompatibility?).

Now, what I'm looking for is a cost-effective version to solve this issue. So far I've come up with the following ideas:
- buying an upscaler like Kaico OSSC
- installing a capture card in my PC (either external or PCIe) and playing games this way

I know that buying a TV would probably be the most sensible solution, but I don't want to clutter my small room.
What do you guys recommend? How do I solve the shaky image issue?

Reply 1 of 2, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OSSC or RetroTink 5x PRO is the way to go.

PS2 is notoriously rough, even with the OSSC I was never fully satisfied with how it looked and so I still hook it up to a CRT. The issue is that most games use interlaced modes, that's why you get the "shaky" image. From what I've seen, the 5x-Pro is fantastic at handling it.
I'm not sure why the XBOX is causing you the same issues though. From what I know, although I've never used one, it mostly outputs progressive. Perhaps the cables you're using aren't up to snuff? Or it could just be that the lower overall resolution just doesn't scale as well on your TV. External scalers will help out with that.

Reply 2 of 2, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a utility for the PS2 called GSM (GS Mode Selector) to change the graphic output mode, from Pal/ntsc to various resolutions 480/575p/720p/1080i using component cables or 640*480, 800*600, 1280*1024 with a VGA cable, maybe outputting a progressive signal would work better in your case.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics