VOGONS

First post, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I won an auction for a Compaq Prolinea 4/33 486. Unfortunately, with a combination of bad packing and UPS apparently throwing it off a building, the plastic fascia in the front (where the slots/vents are) arrived in several pieces. The seller made it good and refunded my money, but I'd hate to have another vintage PC end up in the scrap yard. It is otherwise complete with a period correct SoundBlaster multimedia upgrade.

Has anyone had luck with gluing case plastics? If so, what kind of glue do you recommend? Not sure what type of plastic Compaq used back then, but I don't want to use the wrong type of glue and make it so that it can never be put back together.

Reply 1 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use epoxy. Clamp/tape the piece together so the crack is as tight as can be. Then put some metal screen mesh on the back side where the crack is, mix the two part epoxy, and spread it over the screen with a popsicle stick. It dries very fast. Alternatively, you can use the baking soda and super glue method, but that is a little more brittle in the long run. The baking soda and super glue works well for smaller detail pieces.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-11-08, 21:46:

I use epoxy. Clamp/tape the piece together so the crack is as tight as can be. Then put some metal screen mesh on the back side where the crack is, mix the two part epoxy, and spread it over the screen with a popsicle stick. It dries very fast. Alternatively, you can use the baking soda and super glue method, but that is a little more brittle in the long run. The baking soda and super glue works well for smaller detail pieces.

This, but I use JB Weld epoxy. Original, not the quick set stuff.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yoghoo wrote on 2021-11-08, 21:55:

If it's ABS you can use acetone. Got the tip from this forum and it's used for 3D printing as well. Used it on one of my cases and worked perfectly.

Yah acetone chemically welds ABS, if you've got bigger cracks you can mix up ground ABS in it for a putty to fill.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-08, 23:39:
Yoghoo wrote on 2021-11-08, 21:55:

If it's ABS you can use acetone. Got the tip from this forum and it's used for 3D printing as well. Used it on one of my cases and worked perfectly.

Yah acetone chemically welds ABS, if you've got bigger cracks you can mix up ground ABS in it for a putty to fill.

ya you can then sand with 800-2000 grit the abs putty and it will make the cracks invisible. You can also fill holes and scrapes with the abs putty and use a combination of fill and sand to remake the actuall case. I did a write up on this ahwile back ago. If you have ABS this is the way to go. ABS plastic repair

Dont use glue if you have abs its inferior.

This one repair here took me like all day but it was worth it.

TLDR from the thread I linked. Before and after on one of the cracks and damage on the case. This peice was snapped in two and had a big scrape on it. I welded it with acetone. I then sacrificed a blank 3.5 inch drive bay cover it came with of the same plastic and I made a putty with it in a Glass vile. I carefully/gently rebuild the plastic where the scrape was and also gently painted over the cracks and wet sanded and it is like it never happened.
4AY0UiR.jpg
GqeR3zo.jpg

Reply 7 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i recently repaired the faceplate from a Compaq desktop that UPS destroyed in transit. (it had proper packaging too)

J-B Weld PlasticBonder.
https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe

/thread

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.