VOGONS

First post, by kevmif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a bunch of very old stuff that I need some help with or general info on.

Item 1: PERSYST Time Spectrum 384 card.
Battery damage. Removed battery and all chips. Cleaned up well. Some of the memory sockets damaged (part of the pins eroded off).
Attempted to put it in a laser XT PC and it came up with 'memory error'. I dunno if this board is even compatible? Were these things designed to provide extra (>640k) memory or are they designed to work in boards with no built in memory?

Item2: Laser XT PC.
It turns on, throws a keyboard error (no lights) but still seems to respond to keypress? Have tried different AT keyboards.
No drives, just the case and a video card.
I think I have an FDD controller for it, but can't make it work. I think I am using a 720k drive but can't be sure. It has an adaptor to plug the XT style connector in. Just comes up with disk error 80.
The card is an MT-881 (no battery) and looks to be in good condition. I guess I had better take a closer look at the drive I am using. Should this card run a 1.44mb floppy (at up to 720k only of course).

Item 3: 10mhz turbo board
ALMOST identical to http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/DTK/D … 7s%20Manual.pdf - some very minor differences in the diagram.
Turns on, but wont recognise any AT keyboard. Has 5v in all the right places (CLK and 5v) .
The reverse side of this board is pristine. The top has some severe discolouration as it was found with a thick layer of dust. I think all of the traces are good. Keyboard chip is soldered, not socketed 🙁

Item 4: Miniscribe hard drive and a few similar
I don't understand the relationship between these old hard drives and their controller cards. Am I right in assuming the card has to be designed and configured for that specific HDD in order for a generic XT to boot from it?
I know a lot of people use CF cards these days but it would be really cool to get these working. The miniscribe drive spins up and sounds awesome hehe.

Item 5: Adaptec 408106
Will this controller card work with aforementioned hard drives? It doesn't appear to in my limited testing. Can only find limited info. It seems like it could be SCSI?

Item 6: 6181682XM card with a weird 40ish pin connector on the front (like a big parallel port) and an old 5-1/4 floppy connector on the back. Some type of floppy controller? Maybe I should try this with with the other drive I mentioned in item 2.

Also got a bunch of random video cards (most seem to work) and a few other oddities (cards with just ports on the front etc).

As cool as I find this stuff, I'm more comfortable with 386 onwards as that is what I grew up with so I never actually learnt much about these things. Is any of this stuff particularly valuable? Might be better of selling it to someone who can make it work.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On item 2 ... an AT keyboard tends to be not compatible with an XT computer, unless said keyboard has a switch to change the mode it's in.
same for item 3.

item 5, only seem to quickly find a 408100 photo and that seems to be an RLL/MFM controller.
item 6 6181682XM google says IBM 8 bit Floppy controller, probably support for four floppies though supported drives might be slightly different. not enough experience myself on those.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 2, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Laser keyboard and it is AT compatible, so I guess at least some of the Laser systems must have supported an AT keyboard. Don't know if they were "XT class" machines.

Are those MiniScribe ST-506 "MFM" drives? (Separate control and data ribbon cables?) If so... if you want to access the existing data then you'd likely need to have the original controller card. You should be able to set them up with another controller as long as there is BIOS support for the drive type (cylinders/heads/sectors), but it might have problems reading/writing until you do a reformat.

As for item 6, I have seen 8-bit ISA floppy controller cards with a 37-pin 'D' connector on the end plate and an edge connector at the opposite end. That sounds like what you're describing.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad