VOGONS

First post, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Today I found a local vendor selling a K6 2- 500 kit with P5A-B mobo at a fair price (Brazilian market is kinda crazy with some old PC pieces), and since I dont't know the mobo I have a few question.

1 - This mobo is worth the investment? There are any known bugs and critical incompatibilities?
2 - What's the best graphic card for this setup (please no voodoo hahaha)
3 - Whats the maximum supported HDD size

Since socket 7 boards with AGp are so hard to find (here in Brazil), i'm very tempted to get this kit,

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Investment" ??? How much is it going for? $50 is what I'd say is alright. $20 getting towards a steal, $200 is stealing the other way.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-19, 03:33:

"Investment" ??? How much is it going for? $50 is what I'd say is alright. $20 getting towards a steal, $200 is stealing the other way.

Not an investment. I plan to build a K6 2 - 500 to run Windows games from that time. I already have a Pentium 200 MMX, 64mb with a MX 400 PCI and Audician 32 + SC-55 for DOS games and it rocks. But for Windows games The P200 will not handle many realeases from 98 and forward.

Reply 3 of 4, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P5A-B is the smaller AT form factor version of P5A, one of the most sought-after Super Socket 7 motherboards. If the price is below US$50 then I'd say go for it.

However, VOGONS Wiki says "rev 1.05 has issues with K6-II+ and K6-III+ without hardware modification." Not sure what "issues" they are. It wouldn't be an issue if you stick with K6-2 500 MHz that comes with the MB.

Reply 4 of 4, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2021-11-19, 04:09:

P5A-B is the smaller AT form factor version of P5A, one of the most sought-after Super Socket 7 motherboards. If the price is below US$50 then I'd say go for it.

However, VOGONS Wiki says "rev 1.05 has issues with K6-II+ and K6-III+ without hardware modification." Not sure what "issues" they are. It wouldn't be an issue if you stick with K6-2 500 MHz that comes with the MB.

In my currency it converts about 50$ already with shipping (guy will throw a 6GB HDD as well as a gift). I'll take a look at the Wiki, thanks for sharing.