VOGONS

how tough is 286 processor

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for the info, i will try to fix that mobo, should give some life atleast for the speaker. It has the voltages everywhere it should need for basic functions. But i got some new mem sticks too so i can try. its a 12mhz cpu but that gets me to another topic, sorry 😀

Got a 386 mobo too, kinda got to me that 16mhz 286 can get hot. I got a 386-40. That gets pretty warm just loading dos but the 286-12 got even hotter.

Ill get some more mem sticks and a new cpu for the 286 just to be sure. But if you can answer this? How an earth i have a 386 mobo with 64k cache and no software can find it? Tried cachetst and diags, hwinfo didnt run, not enough memory (4MB) Is there a cheap ass fake cache mobos in 386 era also or did i just buy a stupid mobo that isnt even happening 😀

Reply 21 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AMD 386es of 25, 33, 40 Mhz were particularly cool and low power due to being on a smaller CMOS process. So a lot of CPU are going to feel hotter than them.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 24, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, found an old amidiag program. Bios says 128 cache and that amidiag checked the cache to be allright. Hmm if anyone has good old software to recommend, would be fun to try 😀 Ulsi fpu is on the way from china. who knows 😀

Reply 23 of 24, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update, just got 2x286-12mhz cpu's in a mail coming to me. Should be here in a few days. Two for redundancy and if it works it will be upgrade time to 20mhz. Keen will have a hard time with me.