VOGONS

First post, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I've found this old review, where it is mentioned, that low-end Radeon cards have overclocking protection in BIOS, and it's not possible to overclock them even by 1 mhz.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/articles/view … 1238&cid=3&pg=6

I have this particualr Gigabyte card, only 9200 version, not 9250, but they look almost identical.

Is this overclocking protection still a issue (maybe newer drivers removed it? I never heard it before).
Is there a way, how to bypass it (except flashing new bios on VGA card)
Is it also DOWNCLOCKING protection, or only overclocking? (For example, I want to underclock 200 mhz memory to 166 mhz, is it possible?)

---
EDIT:
Overclocking protection can be bypassed by Powerstrip acording pctuning review: https://pctuning.cz/article/co-nabizi-novy-ra … #article-header

Last edited by W.x. on 2021-11-20, 23:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to use radeon bios editor to change the clocks manually

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 5, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2021-11-20, 09:58:

Wow, thank you. So dudes in first review were amateurs? 😀 That is major mistake to make reviews and do not know to overclock card, because it's important to mention, it can be done.
I'm glad for guys from pctuning.cz, where they've managed to overclock it, and mention it in review, how to bypass protection, which is important.
Btw, pozdrav do Ceska. 😀 (greeting to czechia) it made me happy, cause it is basicaly my native language, so I even didnt need to translate, and I know the pages very well and use them very often for old reviews. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
W.x. wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:30:
Wow, thank you. So dudes in first review were amateurs? :) That is major mistake to make reviews and do not know to overclock ca […]
Show full quote
Ydee wrote on 2021-11-20, 09:58:

Wow, thank you. So dudes in first review were amateurs? 😀 That is major mistake to make reviews and do not know to overclock card, because it's important to mention, it can be done.
I'm glad for guys from pctuning.cz, where they've managed to overclock it, and mention it in review, how to bypass protection, which is important.
Btw, pozdrav do Ceska. 😀 (greeting to czechia) it made me happy, cause it is basicaly my native language, so I even didnt need to translate, and I know the pages very well and use them very often for old reviews. 😀

The drivers they were using may have prevented it.

But usually editing and flashing the bios gets around overclocking locks if all else fails

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 5, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but I wanted to avoid flashing BIOS to VGA , as I don't like messing with it. I will have many radeon cards, and it would mean very painful work, so I was very happy, when I've found out, I can avoid it, actually I was hoping there will be also software way, and it is! So I was so glad for this information.