VOGONS

First post, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to reach a better overclock on my Windows 10 PC than the system's 430W PSU could handle. Hence, I exchanged the PSU for a 650W unit yesterday. Both the original PSU and the new one are Antec units.

650W is enough considering the system's specifications, which you can read below, in case you're interested.

Case: huge Alienware model (don't have any specifics)
PSU: Antec NE650C EC 80 Bronze (currently)
MB: ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
CPU: QX9650 3GHZ @3.470GHZ*
RAM: G.Skill Trident DDR2 ~3.25GB (usable, 4GB installed)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD5750 512MB

*3.470GHZ was not possible with the 430W PSU installed. I used to run the chip at 2.93GHZ.

The system has been working fine so far, but I would like to reach a higher overclock (without overvolting). I'll probably create another topic with regard to this in a few days or weeks.

I'm creating this topic because I have a question with regard to my 1GHZ Pentium 3 system (Dell Dimension 4100). I thought it would be a good idea to exchange the original PSU in my Pentium 3 for the 430W Antec PSU that used to power my Windows 10 PC. The component is stored in a box for the time being.

After having read this thread, I didn't think there would be anything special to this. Just disconnect and unscrew the original PSU and install the Antec unit in its place.

After opening up the system's case, I noticed there are two power cables that go to the motherboard (see photo). I was expecting the presence of the larger connector, which is labelled P1 and has 20 pins, but it was only when I wanted to exchange the system's original PSU that I noticed the shorter connector labelled P7. As you can see on the photo, it has one row of 6 pins.

My 430W Antec PSU does not have this type of cable. So what do I do?

Is the smaller power connector (P7) important enough to have it hooked up to the PSU?

In case it's required to have P7 connected, which options do I have of doing so with respect to my 430W Antec PSU? Are there any adapters?

From what I read, I understood that the 20-pin cable from a "modern" PSU like my 430W Antec (bought around 2010) can be safely plugged to the 20-pin connector on a (much older) Pentium 3 motherboard. Is this true? Are Pentium 3 motherboards and modern PSU's compatible? And Is it true specifically in the case of my Dell system?

I installed my new 650W Antec PSU into my Windows 10 system yesterday, so it's something I can handle. However, I'm not sure what to look out for with regard to PSU's in Pentium 3 systems. How should I go about installing my 430W Antec PSU in this system? Is there anything I can break?

Attachments

Last edited by Odiseo on 2021-11-20, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Dimension 4100 uses a proprietary ATX pinout. There used to be a guy on ebay that sold an adapter with the 6pin aux included on the same 20pin Dell to 20Pin atx adapter.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 9, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:10:

Can I still get that kind of adapter somewhere?

Is this what I'm looking for?

No that one follows the standard for early P4 motherboards, the Dell thing is it's own non-standard bullshit.

Reply 4 of 9, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:28:

No that one follows the standard for early P4 motherboards, the Dell thing is it's own non-standard bullshit.

Is it required to have the P7 connector hooked up to a modern PSU? If that's the case, do you know what a compatible adapter would be called like? Where could I get it?

I really very much hope there is a way to install my 430W Antec PSU into my Pentium 3. The PSU is in perfectly good condition. Not putting it to work would be a waste.

Reply 5 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Odiseo wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:34:

Is it required to have the P7 connector hooked up to a modern PSU? If that's the case, do you know what a compatible adapter would be called like? Where could I get it?

I really very much hope there is a way to install my 430W Antec PSU into my Pentium 3. The PSU is in perfectly good condition. Not putting it to work would be a waste.

You can still get pre-made adapter cables like this one (your Dimension 4100 is listed as compatible) - https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Dell-P10-con … tor-adapter.php - or you can do what I did and make your own.

Reply 6 of 9, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:34:

Yes it's required my advice would be buy the adaptor that PC Hoarder Patrol posted a link to.

Reply 8 of 9, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much all the adapters I have seen are Athena Power brand, I had to get one for a Dell XPS Txxx motherboard ( an Intel SE440BX-3 board ) I picked up.

You can find them at a number of different sites, I picked mine up off of amazon back in Feb, 2019 for $6.68 (Athena Power CABLE-DELL-X ATX 6" 20-Pin to Dell ATX 20-Pin & Dell AUX 6-Pin Cable)

Reply 9 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Odiseo wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:10:

Can I still get that kind of adapter somewhere?

Is this what I'm looking for?

it’s really sad that they did that. Because of it historically, every time I’ve found a dell, I trash the case, mobo and power supply and scavenge everything else

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)