VOGONS

First post, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's up everyone. A good friend of mine gifted me a Laster Turbo XT desktop system.
http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/VTech/VTe … %20Brochure.pdf

Finally got in my mce2vga so I could fire this thing up and see what's what. Well, a knock off of the mce2vga from Ebay but it's working.

It boots to DOS but there are a few issues.
1. Getting Keyboard 0100 error. I have a standard PS/2 keyboard plugged into a PS2 to AT adapter. That to the motherboard. Are there issues using ps/2 keyboards on older machines? I tried 3 different keyboards, all the same issue.
2. Error 80 on Floppy A. Which is the 360k, 5 1/4 drive. There is no disk in the drive.

xt1.jpg

I'm sure more things will crop up once I can start typing 😀.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik both the original IBM PC and the PC XT are incompatible with newer keyboards. You have to get an XT keyboard or one that has a switch allowing it to be switched between XT and AT mode.

The floppy error may indicate various problems. If you can verify your cable is working and plugged in correctly that means either your controller or drive are bad or misconfigured.
Since the other drive appears to be working I'd wager it's more likely the primary drive that's failing than the controller.
If you can get a known good drive you could check wether replacing the drive makes the error go away.

Reply 2 of 6, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-11-23, 02:24:
Afaik both the original IBM PC and the PC XT are incompatible with newer keyboards. You have to get an XT keyboard or one that h […]
Show full quote

Afaik both the original IBM PC and the PC XT are incompatible with newer keyboards. You have to get an XT keyboard or one that has a switch allowing it to be switched between XT and AT mode.

The floppy error may indicate various problems. If you can verify your cable is working and plugged in correctly that means either your controller or drive are bad or misconfigured.
Since the other drive appears to be working I'd wager it's more likely the primary drive that's failing than the controller.
If you can get a known good drive you could check wether replacing the drive makes the error go away.

Thank you.

I will be on the hunt for an XT keyboard first. Appreciate it.

Reply 3 of 6, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Afaik both the original IBM PC and the PC XT are incompatible with newer keyboards. You have to get an XT keyboard or one that h […]
Show full quote

Do you know anything about these PS2/AT to XT convertors?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143391826675

Reply 4 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, those converters will be just fine, you can use either AT or PS/2 keyboards. You can even build one yourself with a protoboard, a PIC microcontroller and a few components.

Finding an actual XT keyboard (or an AT-XT switchable one) is going to be difficult and/or expensive with the current price craze, so I suggest the converter unless you have the time and money to spend.

Regarding the floppy error, there are usually switches on XT motherboards to set either 1 or 2 drives, so you can unplug the one that is not working, set it to 1 drive and see if it works with the other one as drive A. If you still get an error, it may be a problem with the controller (or both drives are faulty).

Reply 5 of 6, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-11-23, 03:10:

Yes, those converters will be just fine, you can use either AT or PS/2 keyboards. You can even build one yourself with a protoboard, a PIC microcontroller and a few components.

Finding an actual XT keyboard (or an AT-XT switchable one) is going to be difficult and/or expensive with the current price craze, so I suggest the converter unless you have the time and money to spend.

Regarding the floppy error, there are usually switches on XT motherboards to set either 1 or 2 drives, so you can unplug the one that is not working, set it to 1 drive and see if it works with the other one as drive A. If you still get an error, it may be a problem with the controller (or both drives are faulty).

Thank you, I will do some tinkering.

I did order a Converter, seems like a much better option. 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

So I tried another cable, same issue. I verified red line going to pin 1.

Jumper configuration seems correct. Controller can actually handle 4 drives. Tried the drive on the second port (for drives 3/4) and get the same issue.

I don't get any errors when dealing with the 3.5in drive, just the 5.25
I tried a different 5.25 drive (also 360k) and get the same errors.

At this point I assume switching swapping out the 8bit controller is next. Will any XT Compatible 8bit controller with on the Laser Turbo XT?

Thanks!