VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a tyan dual socket 7 motherboard the clock gen only supports max of 66mhz fsb (the chip it’s self, not just the jumper settings) and the pentium 233 mmx chips only have multipliers up to 233.

I’m pretty sure this board and cpu would run at 75x 3.5 but How do I get it there?

Is a interposer possible?

Or is only hope a new clock gen chip?

4x isn’t possible on a p1 233mmx right? Because that happens inside the processor right?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2021-11-25, 04:24:

Here a couple of upgrade examples:
https://www.cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html#kingston
Finding them may be problematic and dual support seems not common.

those are for voltage and setting supported multipliers I'm talking about making another multiplier stage that sits between cpu and fsb to bump frequency more

probably not a possible thing but figured I'd ask

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, to have something to bump it above the CPUs supported multipliers would require the interposer to have a separate bus that would run higher than the motherboard's bus and then somehow translate that to the socket on the motherboard.

I also have a dual Socket 7 motherboard and I do have a couple of those interposers that came with AMD K6-2 CPUs.

A K6-2 will not even post on that board.. at least not without an interposer. I tried quite a few different models. I haven't actually tried it with an interposer though. If it does work, then it is highly unlikely that it would work with 2 of them.

One other option would maybe be to get a couple of the 266Mhz Pentium MMX CPUs. The Tillamook Socket 7 version is more common but apparently some laptops used a mobile Pentium MMX 266 that was soldered onto a Socket 7 interposer.
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium/TYPE-M … tium%20MMX.html

I'm not sure how the 4x multiplier would work on your current board or if it would even post or work properly without a modified BIOS.

If you wanted to try to run your board at 75Mhz, it would require you to swap out the clockgen with a pin compatible one that supports higher bus speeds.

Or you could even compare datasheets and wire a different one up even if it wasn't pin compatible.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6 works in my board, even k6 3+ Without interposer. If it worked in dual I would totally do it. But single while possibly faster, defeats the point of the build.

Tillamook doesn’t work in dual

A mobile though if not based on the tillamook… idk, maybe🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I was speaking of a interposer that would translate the bus to a higher speed. Thru I assume a microchip of some kind, maybe even a buffer of some kind… idk.

I would love to get ahold of some of those mobile cpus that uses socket 7 but I’ve never seen one… if anyone has one get ahold of me.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-25, 03:54:

What clock gen chip is on the board at the moment?
and yes.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-25, 12:10:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-25, 03:54:

What clock gen chip is on the board at the moment?
and yes.

Dual socket 7 build

Pic of chip in OP

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 8, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like there were lots of variants for frequency generators. Couldn't find a datasheet for the IC Works W48C60-402G on your board, but did find the National Semiconductor CGS605 that claims to be compatible (also the IC Systems ICS9159-02 and the Cypress CY2254). As you say, it only supports 50, 60 and 66MHz for the Processor clock (with the Bus clock fixed at half that). I haven't found a good list of all the possible variants, but did find the ICS9159C-14: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … CS9159C-14.html

That does have a 75MHz PClk (with a 37.5MHz BClk) and looks to be pin compatible, though I haven't looked closely through both datasheets. The switch from an Enable pin to a Turbo pin might cause problems. That turbo pin is weird, normal PClk outputs are 50, 55, 60, 66.8 MHz, but with the turbo they go to 83.3, 75, 61,6 and 68.4 MHz.

No idea how you'd find one though.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird, I thought turbo made them slower?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-