VOGONS

First post, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just purchased a Sony Vaio pcg-v505he. It is working wonderfully, but I opened it up to clean it out (blow out the dust etc). I unscrewed the heatsink and instead of dried out thermal paste it had a verrrrrrry dried out thermal pad. I have never seen such a dry cracked thermal pad in my life. Granted it's 22 years old =) It's not even in one piece anymore but 100 little ones.

Can I just apply thermal pasted and hope that there is enough contact? Just leave the dry thermal pad? How much heat do I need to worry about with a p3 450 mobile?

Thank you ahead of time for reading!

Reply 1 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still works. They are not meant to be wet thermal pad. They are dry.

Get some 0.5mm or 1mm thick thermal pad next time.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff like that I stick thin copper shims in, pasted both sides of course.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the quick responses. Honestly I should have thought of the copper shim. I did the same thing years ago when i exchanged the ati x600 video card in my Precision m70 for a 6800 go. Man that laptop lasted me a long time. If only the chipset had support for dual core cpu's it could have lasted longer.

Reply 5 of 6, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So with such a low power (15.4 watts) low speed chip, I'm thinking the thermal pad would be fine. Anybody think to the contrary and think that the paste and shim job will make a large difference?

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good thermal pads wil work fine. That being said, I have been unable to find any that actually have good thermal conductivity. copper shim and good themal paste will beat the snot out of thermal pads every time... just have to make sure that something like that won't slip out of place and cause a short.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK