VOGONS

First post, by EmperorStorky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I bought of eBay a old Pentium MMX 200 MHz computer with Windows 98 (se) installed.

But after changing the boot order to cd-rom first I get the following message at boot.
Boot from atapi cd-rom: failure and when I reboot in MS-Dos mode it can’t access the drive.

It does works fine under windows though.

What are the possible problems and how can I solve it.

I don’t have a boot floppy and my gotek drive is still somewhere in the mail.

Reply 1 of 2, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. What's the make and model of your motherboard, your CD-ROM, and your BIOS version?

2. Are you sure your CD is bootable?

3. The CD-ROM requires a .sys driver to be loaded with DEVICE= in the config.sys file to be recognized under DOS. Use the specific driver for your CD-ROM if you can locate one; otherwise download a universal driver e.g. oakcdrom.sys.

4. When you say "I don’t have a boot floppy," do you have a working floppy drive and a blank floppy disk? If so go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk tab to create one. A Pentium MMX era computer should always have one unless yours is not working or removed by the seller.

Reply 2 of 2, by EmperorStorky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s having a FIC PA-2005 motherboard and the bios has the option to first boot of the cd-Tom drive. no idea what brand CD-ROM drive.

I tried a recovery cd from another brand computer.

Will try to figure the cd-Ron drive brand out and find the driver for it.