VOGONS

First post, by randomretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

During last winter I acquired a really cool card, an EIZO MD-B10 (Tseng ET3000AX-based). However the cool thing about the card is its ability to emulate CGA, EGA, Hercules etc.

I have been able to source the high-resolution VGA drivers, which are avalible on archive.org, however I have not been able to find the other driver packages that needs to be installed in order to use the emulation features.

There is just one video about this card on YouTube, however the uploader doesn't reply to comments and I have not been able to contact the author in any other way.

https://youtu.be/lzEwxcUqhMM

He's apparently a user here but as I have new account I can't contact anyone. And he's not been online for a few years.

Perhaps anyone else has access to these drivers? According to the video they were released on 5.25" floppies. Maybe also 3.5" but I do not know this.

Well, hope someone here has these!

Attatched is a picture of the video card.

eizo_md-b10.jpg
Filename
eizo_md-b10.jpg
File size
588.55 KiB
Views
File comment
Eizo MD-B10
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Best regard and Merry Christmas!

Reply 1 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the drivers for Orchid Prodesigner, also based on ET3000 - ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/TSENG/ET3000.ZIP

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 8, by randomretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Seems like a kind of similar card, used mostly for CAD and similar. Never heard of the Ochid Prodesigner, but seems to be very similar. I'll try them as well.

However, the drivers I'm looking for are Eizo's proprietary ones. Really hope someone here has the original drivers and would consider archiving them. Or any general info about the card would be interesting!

Reply 3 of 8, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I currently have a REV B on my desk. It is prepared to hold a relais to switch to another VGA source connected to CN3. Dont have documentation or drivers.

Any ET3000 driver should work. But it would be nice to have a specific driver to make use of the emulation features indeed.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=63

VGA-fr.jpg
Filename
VGA-fr.jpg
File size
846.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is that EIZO did not actually make the card even if it has Eizo logo on it. I would like a screen shot of the card BIOS at boot up or a BIOS dump.
Probably wrong but am guessing it was made by another manufacture. If you read their history there is no mention of video cards: https://www.eizo.com/company/information/history/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eizo
Also If you go to Wayback machine there is no reference to any video card on Eizo website in 1997. Tseng labs website still had drivers for ET3000, 4000, etc in 1997, 1998 and even in 2000.
That makes me think it was made by someone else and logo'd Eizo to be sold with one of their monitors which they are well known for back then and is all that is on their old websites and in their company history of that era...
Probably wrong but why would they drop all mention of any video card (saw many late 1990 dated chips which means card could not be sold until early 1991) unless their video card section was sold but there is no mention of it.
Just a thinking out loud.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No matter who actually made the card, it's a generic ET3000 thing, which means that VMODE.COM from Orchid Prodesigner should work for CGA/Hercules emulation.

Note that Tseng cards need XLAT ROM for the emulation modes to work with VGA frequencies.
I can see two ROMs on that card, hopefully they are BIOS+XLAT, rather than BIOS H + BIOS L.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 8, by randomretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could be entirely possible Eizo just used their logo on them but the manufacturer was someone else. Only documentation I have is from this catalogue from 1991 where there were several models of Eizo's card sold. If you have watched Adrian's Basement on Youtube, he tinkers around with the MD-B12 which was the top model, although it isn't listed in my catalogue.

I actually emailed Eizo Japan and although they didn't have any drivers, they wrote that the Eizo series of video card were only sold in Europe in the late 80's and early 90's.

Just by judging from the video in my first post, I think the ROMs are both BIOS and XLAT, as he had no trouble emulating.

I will definitely try the Orchid Prodesigner drivers, however if would of course be nice to have Eizo's specific divers.

127912628_677670306255237_5656372486928857620_n.jpg
Filename
127912628_677670306255237_5656372486928857620_n.jpg
File size
806.3 KiB
Views
File comment
Eizo MD-B10 Catalogue 1991
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
randomretro wrote on 2021-12-11, 08:52:

I actually emailed Eizo Japan and although they didn't have any drivers, they wrote that the Eizo series of video card were only sold in Europe in the late 80's and early 90's.

Just by judging from the video in my first post, I think the ROMs are both BIOS and XLAT, as he had no trouble emulating.

I will definitely try the Orchid Prodesigner drivers, however if would of course be nice to have Eizo's specific divers.

Ahh good info !
Was thinking NANOA was the Euro division at that time but their history mentions a Swedish sub in 1992. Will try to find those websites in Wayback machine, if they had one, to see if any drivers show.
Here is the Tseng Labs old site and all the drivers are downloadable: http://web.archive.org/web/19981202083712/htt … com/sftlst2.htm
Vdiag and Vmode might be of value (under Utilities)...

Found one EIZO driver for Win 3.0 and it does list the EIZO MD-B10
Yes finding all the original drivers would be nice !

Attachments

• Filename
    EIZOW30.ZIP
    File size
    153.35 KiB
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File comment
    Eizo Win 3.0 drivers dated 1990
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 8, by randomretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-11, 15:25:
Ahh good info ! Was thinking NANOA was the Euro division at that time but their history mentions a Swedish sub in 1992. Will tr […]
Show full quote
randomretro wrote on 2021-12-11, 08:52:

Ahh good info !
Was thinking NANOA was the Euro division at that time but their history mentions a Swedish sub in 1992. Will try to find those websites in Wayback machine, if they had one, to see if any drivers show.
Here is the Tseng Labs old site and all the drivers are downloadable: http://web.archive.org/web/19981202083712/htt … com/sftlst2.htm
Vdiag and Vmode might be of value (under Utilities)...

Found one EIZO driver for Win 3.0 and it does list the EIZO MD-B10
Yes finding all the original drivers would be nice !

Wow those links were really helpful, thanks alot! Maybe at least the different modes could be tested now. I downloaded the VMODE and in the readme it says

Some programs are written to be run using specific modes or are written according to particular video standards. For example, th […]
Show full quote

Some programs are written to be run using specific modes or are
written according to particular video standards. For example, there
are programs that require a monochrome adapter or those that are
written exclusively for a Color Graphics Adapter. When these kinds of
programs are used, it becomes necessary to make your VGA board
appear to be what the program requires. This is easily accomplished.
In order to select a mode that will change the "appearance" of the
video adapter to the software, you need only select the appropriate
VMODE parameter. When another mode is needed or desired, you can
simply select the mode using another VMODE parameter. In order to
return to the default mode (VGA), type VMODE VGA or power down (the
VGA mode will be in effect upon power-up). The following is a list of
modes and their uses. A complete listing of available modes can be
seen by typing VMODE ?.

VMODE CGA - To set the adapter for compatibility with the Color
Graphics Adapter.
VMODE MDA - To set the adapter for compatibility with the
Monochrome Display Adapter.
VMODE HERCULES -To set the adapter for compatibility with the Hercules
card.
VMODE EGA - To set the adapter for compatibility with the Enhanced
Graphics Adapter.
VMODE VGA - To set the adapter for compatibility with the Video
Graphics Array.

A typical use might be for using game software that requires CGA
resolution. Using VMODE CGA will put the VGA board in CGA mode. If
the software needs to be booted in order to work, you simply place the
VGA in CGA-compatible mode with VMODE CGA, and warm-boot with your
game diskette in the A: drive.

So seems like maybe it would be the same variant as in the video on youtube. I have to put together my 386 and try it out haha. But yes, if we can find the Eizo-branded ones it would be even better!