VOGONS

Reply 140 of 600, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would omit any reinstall and instead use silicon pads to avoid scuffing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 141 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-02-22, 00:24:

I would omit any reinstall and instead use silicon pads to avoid scuffing.

I bet those old athalon copper shims would work on these. For those who wanted to keep the IhS off. Prob have to file a little bit for clearance from some of the ICs and gold pads

May even be able to find some foam pads, make it look like a ceramic athalon/duron.

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-02-22, 00:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 142 of 600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The removal of the IHS on these doesn't really help with overclocking plus the die is pretty fragile. I wouldn't want to risk using a heatsink directly on the die.

It is not hard at all to reinstall the IHS on these.

I did it back when the K6-2 chips were current and didn't have any issues reinstalling.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 143 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-22, 00:35:

The removal of the IHS on these doesn't really help with overclocking plus the die is pretty fragile. I wouldn't want to risk using a heatsink directly on the die.

It is not hard at all to reinstall the IHS on these.

I did it back when the K6-2 chips were current and didn't have any issues reinstalling.

Whatcha think? Is this the same stuff?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 144 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Automotive RTVs are generally good sealers, but poor glues. Unless they are intended for a more adhesive role, rather than gasket sealing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 145 of 600, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use this. Works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1A/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
81ZOT3duUbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 146 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote on 2022-02-22, 01:42:
I use this. Works fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1A/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81ZO […]
Show full quote

I use this. Works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1A/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
81ZOT3duUbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I’m trying to find the exact stuff that amd used

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 147 of 600, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will guess that the stuff AMD used isn't silicone, or maybe it's a special heavily-modified silicone. Most silicone glues don't adhere well to metal, aluminum in particular.
It's possible that it's actually a silicone-ABS compound. Which would explain why it swells and softens with acetone, which plain silicone doesn't really do.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 148 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably more similar to the stuff they install windshields with then.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 149 of 600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really isn't going to matter which silicone you use.

I would probably just use some of the clear stuff that Walmart sells. Pick your brand.

If you want some really awesome stuff that really seems close to the AMD stuff, go to your Honda dealer and pick up a tube of Hondabond. It is just pricier than regular silicone glue but it is also very resistant to things that will cause regular silicone to break down and/or swell up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 150 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-22, 06:46:

It really isn't going to matter which silicone you use.

I would probably just use some of the clear stuff that Walmart sells. Pick your brand.

If you want some really awesome stuff that really seems close to the AMD stuff, go to your Honda dealer and pick up a tube of Hondabond. It is just pricier than regular silicone glue but it is also very resistant to things that will cause regular silicone to break down and/or swell up.

I’m trying to keep them as original as possible. I like unlocking them but want to put them back together as they were. For the time being I will probably leave my others as 2+ cpus. Because of collector reasons. The 570s seem like fair game though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_K6-III
I’ve been reading up trying to address others questions of others that may be unlockable.

Best I can tell, this particular mod is definitely a k6 2+ only mod. No regular 2 should have this ability. So best not to try.

But there are still unanswered questions.

On the non plus 3 there are two links of interest, and I am unsure of what they are for. It’s possible that moving one may actually make a k6-2/3 non plus with 128k of cache (a model that so far as I can see never existed) but this is only speculation.

So remaining questions:
-What do the two option smds on the k6-3 non plus do?
-what does the remaining smd optional position on the 2+\3+ Do?
-What do the missing smds do?
-and personally, I’d like to find out exactly the kind of adhesive used by amd so I can restore these after the mod.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 151 of 600, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably the same thing, since plus versions are just die-shrink. It's also possible that some K6-2 are defective K6-III with L2 disabled cache, i.e. no resistor or additional placement.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 152 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-02-22, 07:17:

Probably the same thing, since plus versions are just die-shrink. It's also possible that some K6-2 are defective K6-III with L2 disabled cache, i.e. no resistor or additional placement.

That’s what my research was trying to determine, I don’t believe that’s the case. From what I see, all the non plus 2 cpus are cachless physically, electrically, and otherwise. It seems the only cached non plus cpus were the k6 3 cpus. What I’m saying is I don’t think there are any other models of k6 other than the 2+ that we already discovered that will have this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 153 of 600, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You only have to look at the CPUID to know the K6-2 can never be turned into a K6-3, and the K6-3 can never be turned into a K6-3+. They don't use the same die.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 157 of 600, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-02-22, 12:17:
Step 1: Order dozens of K6-2+/570ACZ for 20€ each Step 2: Order fake lids that read K6-III+/550ACR Step 3: ? Step 4: Profit! […]
Show full quote

Step 1: Order dozens of K6-2+/570ACZ for 20€ each
Step 2: Order fake lids that read K6-III+/550ACR
Step 3: ?
Step 4: Profit!

Update:
Step 3: compete on ebay with the dozens of people who do the same
Step 4: ?profit

😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte