VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

first thing that springs to mind is... will the network adapters have some sort of autodetection or will you require a crossover cable.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 21 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A modern switch/router should be able to auto detect this and work in any cable config, but direct cable connection between two old NICs will require a crossed cable.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 24, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The issue was really simple, wrong IRQ 😒

What ever I would configure it with the IBM Utility it would actually do `n - 2`. So I was setting nine, but picked seven? I discovered by looking at the log file it was generating. Works perfectly now though!

Reply 23 of 24, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-09, 18:05:

Try looking at the downloaded .exe with 7zip

I second that, 7zip, on windows, can unzip almost everything, including self-extracting executables, and floppy, hard drive and CD/DVD-ROM images in various formats...
It's the most practical utility I have on my Windows 10 workhorse PC...

Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 24 of 24, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
duboisea wrote on 2021-12-10, 17:15:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-10, 15:45:

Since you're running linux, it should be as easy as running tcpdump on the machine in question and another one, then trying to figure out if it's a cable, cable-config, irq, or some weird driver quirk. 😁

Tonight I am going to confirm that network traffic leaving my Thinkpad is received unmodified on Compaq host. I just have an ethernet cable plugged in between them, not using a switch or gateway.

What things should I be looking at re: cable, cable-config? I know very little hardware/networking wise so not sure where to start debugging and learning wise.

🤣 thats not how it works. you either need to use a switch which can be a router or a simple desktop switch or you need a crossover cable for direct connet.