VOGONS

First post, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Compaq Presario 4505 I am trying to upgrade the RAM on. I am not exactly sure what RAM to buy though. I found a listing here https://www.ebay.com/itm/324898868953, but hoped to upgrade to a larger size then OEM provided.

I also found https://memoryclearance.com/237716-001-hp-/-c … ram-memory.html and https://www.datamemorysystems.com/dms-memory/ … esario-4505.htm

I bought some `66MHz, SDRAM PC66, 168p DIMM, 3.3v` before even opening up the computer (was only $4) and it didn't fit. My guess right now is that it is some configuration of SO-DIMM?

Reply 1 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RAM it takes is 66MHz SDRAM, 168-pin / 3.3v. There may only be one slot, if that model has onboard SDRAM. The other small slot (the brown one) is for COAST memory (cache).

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please hold on the purchases.

Details about your computer please. CPU and some photos of interior especially motherboard.

This will help us.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I'm seeing everywhere is 16MB "fixed" and one slot for up to 32MB, 48MB Max... but when I find a motherboard picture it looks like 2 SDRAM slots. So it could mayyyybe take two 32MB modules, but maybe won't support more than one bank on the first slot or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it could be either of these..?

s-l400.jpg
Filename
s-l400.jpg
File size
47.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Compaq-Presario-271308-001-Intel-Pentium-200MHz-CPU-128MB.jpg
Filename
Compaq-Presario-271308-001-Intel-Pentium-200MHz-CPU-128MB.jpg
File size
47.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this your mother board? Looks like a VX chipset, which is limited to 128 megabytes maximum. A 64 megabyte DIMM ought to work, giving a total of 80 - I saw an ad for one of these for sale with 80 megs of RAM installed. This does exceed the cacheable RAM limit of 64 megabytes with the VX, so 48 megabytes may be the better choice.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 6, by duboisea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help everyone!

I was looking at the `COAST Memory`. My floppy drive was covering where the SDRAM goes. I put it in and worked perfectly. Thanks for the images of the motherboard that made me realize my mistake instantly 🙁

I put in 128MB (was the cheapest I could find on eBay). The BIOS/Windows shows 48MB just as expected. Machine is perfect for playing Blood/Duke 3D at full settings, I also added a Trio64V2.

I might put a 233 MX in it for fun. A little worried about cooling, might not be worth it? At most I want to play some RTSes (Starcraft, AoE)