VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this qualifies as old hardware per se (yet), but I just trust in Vogons' users knowledge and input more than any other site. Basically I got an Asus P5K Pro with cpu and ram for a Windows 7 64 bit build, with the seller saying that all that was needed was to install the usb drivers using ps2 mouse and keyboard. I found it strange not having usb from the get go, but it was cheap so I proceeded.

The board and bundle do work, but I only strictly have the Y axis through my ps2 mouse (late 90's logitech). Even installing Windows 7 64 bit and later 32 bit with the keyboard only proved useless, as every driver file "for Win 7" from Asus' site and a lot of other sites is either "not compatible with this operating system" or installs but changing nothing (realtek audio, lan, or chipset drivers that don't install usb). Tried through .inf files in device manager, same result.

So I'm stuck without basic usb functions and no drivers at all. A bios update wouldn't solve this right? How can there be no working drivers on the web, is this an " install dvd only" type solution?

The point of the build was to replace my earlier socket 775 Windows 7 64 bit build whose motherboard gave out. Am I missing something? Thank you all for your time and help

Reply 1 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a soc 775 so yes is sorta vintage 😀
What CPU are you using ?
I had a similar issue on a Nvidia based soc 775 and my suggestions are yes use the PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse, that is why they included them.
Back then the USB 2.0 was not always workable even when set to "legacy" in the bios when trying to install the OS.
This > " but I only strictly have the Y axis through my ps2 mouse (late 90's logitech)"
First you need to make sure the ps2 mouse works proper OR get used to using the TAB button to navigate around during install (LOL have had to do it many times, PIA but doable).
Before installing any OS be sure to make notes on the current BIOS settings and then reset the BIOS to defaults. Then using the manual set the items you need to change from default.
After OS install First thing to install is the chipset drivers aka Intel INF (not the USB), once that is installed then install the USB drivers.
If all goes well then you install the other drivers.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-14, 03:31:
It is a soc 775 so yes is sorta vintage :) What CPU are you using ? I had a similar issue on a Nvidia based soc 775 and my su […]
Show full quote

It is a soc 775 so yes is sorta vintage 😀
What CPU are you using ?
I had a similar issue on a Nvidia based soc 775 and my suggestions are yes use the PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse, that is why they included them.
Back then the USB 2.0 was not always workable even when set to "legacy" in the bios when trying to install the OS.
This > " but I only strictly have the Y axis through my ps2 mouse (late 90's logitech)"
First you need to make sure the ps2 mouse works proper OR get used to using the TAB button to navigate around during install (LOL have had to do it many times, PIA but doable).
Before installing any OS be sure to make notes on the current BIOS settings and then reset the BIOS to defaults. Then using the manual set the items you need to change from default.
After OS install First thing to install is the chipset drivers aka Intel INF (not the USB), once that is installed then install the USB drivers.
If all goes well then you install the other drivers.

Hello, yes I installed the OS using Tab key only! It came with a Quad Q9300 2,50ghz.

I just reflashed the bios even though it had the latest version already, and I did it through USB, but then in the Win 7 OS both usb mouse and keyboard don't work, only my usb bios pen was recognized, and the keyboard doesn't even light up. Even in the bios or dos the usb keyboard doesn't work.

If I run the separate usb driver folder setup it says it's not a compatible OS. But I got the correct version from Asus and many other sites.The chipset drivers install log never includes USB in the list, and not one driver was correctly installed. The problem is the usb but also other drivers with the same compatibility issue message or apparently installing but changing nothing, like lan or realtek audio

Reply 3 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really think there's something awry with Asus' drivers. The latest chipset drivers have a Win 7 folder, but none of the Intel.inf files are recognized as x64 for the OS, so I can't update the controller in Device Manager. This drivers incompatibility with x64 system seems to be a recurring theme. I even tried before to install win 7 32 bit and got the same results. I mean, somebody had to have had this board with Windows 7 installed and fully running at some point right??

Edit: I noticed the pc doesn't shut down from Windows 7, it hangs at the shut down window

Reply 5 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-12-14, 08:15:

I suspect your board is defective. USB is a very basic thing. If it doesn't work even in BIOS - it's bad.

Thanks for the input,It works with usb pen that I used to flash the bios, but not with anything else. I will try to see if windows update has drivers that were made available at the time after this board's maintenance period (circa 2009). If not then oh well...

Reply 6 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I read Asus and many others removed the proper Win7 USB drivers for Intel chipset back about 2018 per an Intel request. Had a problem finding the proper USB one before.
Will look thru my archives and see if I can find one for P35 chipset.. You want Intel_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7 but cannot find the USB driver yet...
You can check for older drivers at https://rebyte.me/en/asus/

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-14, 14:44:

I read Asus and many others removed the proper Win7 USB drivers for Intel chipset back about 2018 per an Intel request. Had a problem finding the proper USB one before.
Will look thru my archives and see if I can find one for P35 chipset.. You want Intel_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7 but cannot find the USB driver yet...
You can check for older drivers at https://rebyte.me/en/asus/

Thank you so much, it's all drivers really, I got a BSOD kernel error trying to download some stuff so I could use windows update.

I do believe Asus doesn't have the correct drivers made available, but I wouldn't be shocked if the board was defective too

Reply 8 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read Asus and many others removed the proper Win7 USB drivers for Intel chipset back about 2018 per an Intel request.

Could you elaborate on this? I haven't found any info on this with a quick search.

This exact chipset driver is still up on ASUS's website for P5K Pro and is identical to the one I downloaded for my P5Q PRO ages ago. The chipset driver only specifies the branding strings for the onboard devices, including USB. There is no separate USB driver for these chipsets, as they only support USB 2.0 for which the drivers are provided by Microsoft as part of Windows.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was part of the Asrock support forum for a while (think Warlord was too) and about 2017 many started complaining that Intel took down any USB updates to any Windows versions prior to Win8.1 and many OEMs removed them too back then but only for Intel based chipsets. the problem was that Win7 (even Sp1) needed a "fix" for many older and newer chipsets.
I found some of the updates for those looking but many were missing due to no OEM, Intel and MS wanting to support Win 7 any more (end of life thing). Not sure why they were removed but most were AFAIK. Mostly rumor but ran into it myself.
Added: the only one left for Win7 at Intel is https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17344/ which for a few years back then was taken down. Unfortunately is only for USB 3 not 2....

Yeah the chipset INF's are still at Asus and others, it is the Win7 updated USB drivers that are gone....
I really think an Ubuntu Live cd or other OS bootable CD is in order for andre_6 to find out if the USB works proper. If it does then a driver issue, if not then a board issue 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-12-14, 21:21:
Could you elaborate on this? I haven't found any info on this with a quick search. […]
Show full quote

I read Asus and many others removed the proper Win7 USB drivers for Intel chipset back about 2018 per an Intel request.

Could you elaborate on this? I haven't found any info on this with a quick search.

This exact chipset driver is still up on ASUS's website for P5K Pro and is identical to the one I downloaded for my P5Q PRO ages ago. The chipset driver only specifies the branding strings for the onboard devices, including USB. There is no separate USB driver for these chipsets, as they only support USB 2.0 for which the drivers are provided by Microsoft as part of Windows.

Horun wrote on 2021-12-14, 23:50:
I was part of the Asrock support forum for a while (think Warlord was too) and about 2017 many started complaining that Intel to […]
Show full quote

I was part of the Asrock support forum for a while (think Warlord was too) and about 2017 many started complaining that Intel took down any USB updates to any Windows versions prior to Win8.1 and many OEMs removed them too back then but only for Intel based chipsets. the problem was that Win7 (even Sp1) needed a "fix" for many older and newer chipsets.
I found some of the updates for those looking but many were missing due to no OEM, Intel and MS wanting to support Win 7 any more (end of life thing). Not sure why they were removed but most were AFAIK. Mostly rumor but ran into it myself.
Added: the only one left for Win7 at Intel is https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17344/ which for a few years back then was taken down. Unfortunately is only for USB 3 not 2....

Yeah the chipset INF's are still at Asus and others, it is the Win7 updated USB drivers that are gone....
I really think an Ubuntu Live cd or other OS bootable CD is in order for andre_6 to find out if the USB works proper. If it does then a driver issue, if not then a board issue 😀

Thanks everyone for taking the time, in either case drivers or board issue I think it's the end of the road for this board then. Maybe it will still be useful for a high end XP build in the future, assuming those drivers aren't bust as well. Not one single driver works from the Asus site and others, and the chipset one from Asus even bypasses the usb controllers in the install log even if I run it in -overall command.

Never thought I would go through this with an Asus board. Now I'm even a little uneasy about getting an Asus 775 socket Mobo. It's a shame I got it to replace my original Gigabyte X-48 DS5 that died (which had usb and lan by default!), I really thought I was finished throwing money at this build. I'm going to get a new mobo and close it for good. Maybe an MSI board?...

Reply 11 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the thing. You mix unrelated topics. There were never any Intel USB 2.0 drivers for these combinations of platforms and operating systems. That is why you cannot find them. Nothing was taken down, because nothing was ever there. Win7, Vista, and XP (past a certain SP) all use inbox Microsoft drivers for all Intel USB 2.0 controllers.

For USB 3.0 the situation is different, because Microsoft only has inbox USB 3.0 drivers starting from Windows 8. Previous versions require drivers from the manufacturer. If Intel indeed discontinued / removed from distribution their USB 3.0 drivers , this is a problem for Win7. For Vista and earlier - Intel never even released any official drivers for their USB 3.0 controllers.

Yes, it's a relatively easy test, but if a USB keyboard doesn't even work in the BIOS, then it's a very slim chance that it's a "driver issue".

andre_6 wrote on 2021-12-15, 02:08:

Never thought I would go through this with an Asus board. Now I'm even a little uneasy about getting an Asus 775 socket Mobo. It's a shame I got it to replace my original Gigabyte X-48 DS5 that died (which had usb and lan by default!), I really thought I was finished throwing money at this build. I'm going to get a new mobo and close it for good. Maybe an MSI board?...

In the future - don't be tempted to buy a board with "the seller saying that all that was needed was to install the usb drivers using ps2 mouse and keyboard". This is usually an indication of a bad board. Then again, you say it was cheap, so, I guess you got what you paid for.

If you want to try to salvage this board, then you have a couple of options. First - if you haven't done it yet, make sure that all the contacts on it are clean / there is no corrosion (especially around the ICH10 southbridge chip). You can gently clean with alcohol.

Assuming the above does not work - you can try to reflow the southbridge chip (frequently, USB problems are caused by some of the balls desoldering). This requires proper tools and skills. You can try to bake the board in the oven (this also sometimes alleviates solder issues, although typically only temporarily). This also requires following a proper protocol - do your research if you wish to try (I have never tried it myself).

Finally, you can just give up on onboard USB and use a USB add-on card (assuming PCIe slots are all good). The advantage is that it will get you USB 3.0. The disadvantage is that you won't be able to use it in the BIOS / boot from it.

Good luck.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 12 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-12-15, 07:44:
That's the thing. You mix unrelated topics. There were never any Intel USB 2.0 drivers for these combinations of platforms and o […]
Show full quote

That's the thing. You mix unrelated topics. There were never any Intel USB 2.0 drivers for these combinations of platforms and operating systems. That is why you cannot find them. Nothing was taken down, because nothing was ever there. Win7, Vista, and XP (past a certain SP) all use inbox Microsoft drivers for all Intel USB 2.0 controllers.

For USB 3.0 the situation is different, because Microsoft only has inbox USB 3.0 drivers starting from Windows 8. Previous versions require drivers from the manufacturer. If Intel indeed discontinued / removed from distribution their USB 3.0 drivers , this is a problem for Win7. For Vista and earlier - Intel never even released any official drivers for their USB 3.0 controllers.

Yes, it's a relatively easy test, but if a USB keyboard doesn't even work in the BIOS, then it's a very slim chance that it's a "driver issue".

andre_6 wrote on 2021-12-15, 02:08:

In the future - don't be tempted to buy a board with "the seller saying that all that was needed was to install the usb drivers using ps2 mouse and keyboard". This is usually an indication of a bad board. Then again, you say it was cheap, so, I guess you got what you paid for.

If you want to try to salvage this board, then you have a couple of options. First - if you haven't done it yet, make sure that all the contacts on it are clean / there is no corrosion (especially around the ICH10 southbridge chip). You can gently clean with alcohol.

Assuming the above does not work - you can try to reflow the southbridge chip (frequently, USB problems are caused by some of the balls desoldering). This requires proper tools and skills. You can try to bake the board in the oven (this also sometimes alleviates solder issues, although typically only temporarily). This also requires following a proper protocol - do your research if you wish to try (I have never tried it myself).

Finally, you can just give up on onboard USB and use a USB add-on card (assuming PCIe slots are all good). The advantage is that it will get you USB 3.0. The disadvantage is that you won't be able to use it in the BIOS / boot from it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good suggestions, in order to clarify and further inform the thread in case someone else has this issue:

1. I understand that the USB issue was more in focus, but the truth is most drivers from the Asus' site or other don't work in Windows 7, like Realtek Audio etc. Only the LAN Marvell driver actually works - I'm posting this from this board's PC with PS/2 keyboard and mouse with Windows 7 after a Windows Update marathon and Nvidia drivers install. I even tried the P5Q Pro Chipset drivers which are indeed the same as my P5K Pro, and it didn't work also. It installed but didn't provide me with USB or anything that I noticed, and the CPU fan is always spinning at max speed by the way.

2. The USB keyboard doesn't work in the BIOS but if I insert a USB pen in every single I/O USB port and then start the PC it is recognized both in BIOS and Windows 7. But my original Gigabyte board didn't recognize this keyboard also when prompting the BIOS, only IN the BIOS (I had to resort to a slightly older USB keyboard to get in the BIOS).

3. The POST report also states "initializing USB controllers....done" and identifies the USB mass storage pen in the list of usb devices, but not the mouse and keyboard. The USB laser mouse lights up, and the keyboard itself only lights up briefly when I turn on the PSU before booting up. Also, Device Manager has USB controllers correctly installed according to Windows 7, just not the right ones apparently. When in Windows 7, if I plug in the USB pen nothing happens, it only recognizes if it's there right from the power on.

4. It will make no difference now but I actually believe the seller was being truthful, I think he simply used this board with XP at the time, or with the "missing" drivers that at the time were available for Windows 7 through Windows Update for example. It really seems it is a driver issue in every way, or at the very least that something is clearly missing as opposed to being "broken". If I didn't have already an XP build finished I would have tried to build it around this board and see what's what, might come in handy some day

Reply 13 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus P5K has P35 chipset. That is old enough to work with windows7 using only the built-in drivers, no need to install anything (for USB at least). If that doesn't work, there must be HW problem. Once I had i865+ICH5 board that had defective USB controller. Possibly the southbridge was damaged. The behavior was somewhat similar to what you describe - flash drive detected in BIOS but not in OS. No matter what I did, I couldn't make it work. After RMA I got new board (same type) and that one worked fine.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 14 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote on 2021-12-15, 09:32:

Asus P5K has P35 chipset. That is old enough to work with windows7 using only the built-in drivers, no need to install anything (for USB at least). If that doesn't work, there must be HW problem. Once I had i865+ICH5 board that had defective USB controller. Possibly the southbridge was damaged. The behavior was somewhat similar to what you describe - flash drive detected in BIOS but not in OS. No matter what I did, I couldn't make it work. After RMA I got new board (same type) and that one worked fine.

Thank you for this reply. Maybe it will get the OP to finally stop chasing some ephemeral "missing drivers" that never existed, and just accept the fact that his board is faulty.

Reply 15 of 15, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dr_st wrote on 2021-12-15, 09:51:

Thank you for this reply. Maybe it will get the OP to finally stop chasing some ephemeral "missing drivers" that never existed, and just accept the fact that his board is faulty.

Well I would have treated it as faulty in any case from now on, but I'm glad it's clear now. Maybe I'll bake it in the oven just as an experiment!