VOGONS

First post, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought a (supposedly) tested working AOpen AP53-1 off of Ebay so that I'd have a nice 430HX board to tinker with. However, after installing a 90MHz Pentium, two 64MB SIMMs, and an ATi Rage XL, the system failed to boot. I installed a POST card in one of the ISA slots to see what was going wrong, and the individual LEDs showing things like the reset signal seemed to indicate that things were fine, but the POST codes shown on the 7-segment displays remained blank.

All hardware aside from the motherboard itself is known-working, and I even tried using a different BIOS EEPROM with the image flashed onto it in case if the existing ROM chip was nonfunctional. I've checked all the drivers, and I've tried multiple different combinations of RAM, CPU, and video card.

The board itself is almost in pristine shape, though there's some weird grainy residue on the bottom side that doesn't appear to be related to battery leakage. I was able to clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol, though overall I don't think that it has any relation to the board not working.

As far as I know, I think the issue could be with a potentially dead Dallas RTC chip. I have a second AP53-1 in my childhood PC that has an RTC chip that's on its way out, and it too occasionally refuses to POST at all, though more recently it's been consistently POST-ing and then complaining about a flat battery.

Any advice? I've gone ahead and contacted the Ebay seller to ask about how it was tested, and I'm hoping that my RTC replacements arrive soon before the return window closes.

Reply 1 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the dallas depleted battery could be the problem, but for example the ASUS p/i-p55t2p4, that use the same chipset and same battery, works even when the battery is depleted, it just can't save the bios settings.

Reply 2 of 12, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-12-14, 19:44:

the dallas depleted battery could be the problem, but for example the ASUS p/i-p55t2p4, that use the same chipset and same battery, works even when the battery is depleted, it just can't save the bios settings.

Hopefully it's the case. Nothing else seems to be bad visually, and pressing down on chips to test for cracked solder joints didn't do anything either. I have some replacement RTCs coming hopefully around the end of the year. That'll leave me a few days to test before the window to open a return request closes.

Reply 3 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
themajortechie wrote on 2021-12-15, 05:38:

Hopefully it's the case. Nothing else seems to be bad visually, and pressing down on chips to test for cracked solder joints didn't do anything either. I have some replacement RTCs coming hopefully around the end of the year. That'll leave me a few days to test before the window to open a return request closes.

If you have a battery holder and the chip is socketed you can modify the depleted battery, there are plenty of tutorials, the one I prefer is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBvw1TLHyqM

Reply 4 of 12, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-12-15, 13:49:

If you have a battery holder and the chip is socketed you can modify the depleted battery, there are plenty of tutorials, the one I prefer is this one:

Did that already. Unfortunately, the board still doesn't POST.

Reply 5 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
themajortechie wrote on 2021-12-19, 04:44:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-12-15, 13:49:

Did that already. Unfortunately, the board still doesn't POST.

Well that's a bad news, if you did it right, clearly the problem is not the dellas chip, then :\

Reply 6 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the voltage from the V.reg transistor to ground, it should be about 3.45v. Do you have a speaker hooked up ? Any beeps ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 12, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are very large sticks of memory, have you tried anything smaller like 2x16mb? Also the rage clip pci card I have only works in much newer boards than any of my pentium machines have.

Reply 9 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hook up a speaker and remove everything except the known working CPU and PSU (and of course keep the BIOS EEPROM with correct BIOS on the board as well).
If you turn the system on now you should hear the board/speaker complain about RAM.
If that doesn't happen some form of hardware defect is almost certain.

Reply 10 of 12, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried with 8MB SIMMs instead, and an ISA VGA card. Still nothing happens, and it doesn't complain about RAM when none is installed either. I already got my refund and the board is now in my parts box. 😜

Reply 11 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
themajortechie wrote on 2022-01-22, 22:01:

I've tried with 8MB SIMMs instead, and an ISA VGA card. Still nothing happens, and it doesn't complain about RAM when none is installed either. I already got my refund and the board is now in my parts box. 😜

Hi, I know it's an old thread. I have that same board. stored more than about 15 - 16 years ago. nostalgia assaulted me a few months ago and I am rebuilding my two old PCs (this one and a 486) of which I have almost all its parts. Both were functional when I put them away. They have been well cleaned and visually checked and look good. the voltages are ok. I want to check with an oscilloscope if there is a clock signal.

in the case of this board it was tested with a Pentium MMX 200 (the last used in it) and a Pentium 133MHz. I can also try two other Pentiums of 133 and 75 Mhz. but no answer, no beeps, nothing. After so much time it is clear that the RTC battery is more than dead. I don't know if, as you say, it is a case of the board not starting if the battery is dry. Although I always assumed that the battery was recharged with the power of the board.

Reply 12 of 12, by themajortechie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kinetix wrote on 2023-07-27, 03:02:
themajortechie wrote on 2022-01-22, 22:01:

Hi, I know it's an old thread. I have that same board. stored more than about 15 - 16 years ago. nostalgia assaulted me a few months ago and I am rebuilding my two old PCs (this one and a 486) of which I have almost all its parts. Both were functional when I put them away. They have been well cleaned and visually checked and look good. the voltages are ok. I want to check with an oscilloscope if there is a clock signal.

in the case of this board it was tested with a Pentium MMX 200 (the last used in it) and a Pentium 133MHz. I can also try two other Pentiums of 133 and 75 Mhz. but no answer, no beeps, nothing. After so much time it is clear that the RTC battery is more than dead. I don't know if, as you say, it is a case of the board not starting if the battery is dry. Although I always assumed that the battery was recharged with the power of the board.

I'm not really sure myself either at this point. I've long-since added the board to my parts bin in the meantime. Replacing the Dallas RTC didn't appear to have any effect on the board iirc