VOGONS

First post, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought 5 Sony CRX230EE never used, in full 2021, and very cheap. I had just bought 10 DIM keyboards with PS/2 adapter, also very cheap.
I wonder if I'm privileged or if other countries are so lucky. Here in Brazil, many cargoes learned as contraband by the government many years ago due to bureaucracy only recently went to auction and appeared for sale on the market. This week when looking for an old burner to burn games to my consoles, I found this Sony CD r/rw drive from a vendor who put hundreds for sale,This drive writes at 4X speed. I just grabbed 5 to keep for my great great grandchildren and am thinking of stocking up on more.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those CRX230 models CDRW (like 230AD, 230AE and 230EE) are 52x-32x-52x burners. You should be able burn faster than 4x with proper media in a fast computer....
Not bad if you did not pay more than about $20 each if they are really new (only because I can sometimes get new IDE CDRW for about that locally but rare)... but that is just my opinion on what they are worth.
One thing: the 230AD and 230AE models had a volume control on the front. The 230EE does not from all the images I looked at....
pdf manual:
https://manualzz.com/doc/60132279/sony-crx230ee-user-manual
Should work well as a cdrom reader even on a 486 but be limited to a low PIO mode speed.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess countries like South America where rules are somewhat relaxed it's very possible for goods to sit forgotten in storage for years.
North America seems like it also has many cases of warehouses untouched and forgotten for years. I guess in a big country storage is cheap.
Asia can be good for newer but obsolete hardware when manufactures release end of life stock.
Europe doesn't seem to have much luck in New old stock. I guess its due to smaller countries, smaller warehouses, so keep less stock on hand?

Reply 4 of 8, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-16, 19:10:

Unused keyboard are always nice, I use something similar rubber domed. Cleaning used keyboards is not that fun..

Cd drives are nothing special imo.

ok, but not every drive works correctly or is compatible with clonecd or writes in 4x, but if you consider everything the same... even so pay 1/3 the value of a used on ebay on a never used drive and have more than 200 available for sale I don't think it's common.

Reply 5 of 8, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-16, 22:58:
Those CRX230 models CDRW (like 230AD, 230AE and 230EE) are 52x-32x-52x burners. You should be able burn faster than 4x with prop […]
Show full quote

Those CRX230 models CDRW (like 230AD, 230AE and 230EE) are 52x-32x-52x burners. You should be able burn faster than 4x with proper media in a fast computer....
Not bad if you did not pay more than about $20 each if they are really new (only because I can sometimes get new IDE CDRW for about that locally but rare)... but that is just my opinion on what they are worth.
One thing: the 230AD and 230AE models had a volume control on the front. The 230EE does not from all the images I looked at....
pdf manual:
https://manualzz.com/doc/60132279/sony-crx230ee-user-manual
Should work well as a cdrom reader even on a 486 but be limited to a low PIO mode speed.

but the intention of those looking for this type of recorder is precisely to record at low speed, without activating DMA, to have a better quality recording/track. Modern recorders do not have this ability to burn high quality discs.

Reply 6 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gundstaff wrote on 2021-12-17, 11:53:

Unused keyboard are always nice, I use something similar rubber domed. Cleaning used keyboards is not that fun..

ok, but not every drive works correctly or is compatible with clonecd or writes in 4x, but if you consider everything the same... even so pay 1/3 the value of a used on ebay on a never used drive and have more than 200 available for sale I don't think it's common.

Actually I don't have a problem to read any CDs written on my modern external usb cd rom drive on any drives I have. Maybe if you have very early CDROM drives this is a bigger problem and you need disks written at low speed?

Reply 7 of 8, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-17, 16:29:

Actually I don't have a problem to read any CDs written on my modern external usb cd rom drive on any drives I have. Maybe if you have very early CDROM drives this is a bigger problem and you need disks written at low speed?

A lot of people lose a lot of cds trying to burn Dreamcast games. Mine is old and the games were on GD-Rom discs the recording had to be very good, with cd of prime material, it's not a simple recording to make for the layman, there are advanced settings so it can detect discs above 700mb and others. It's not something accessible for Linux, it's not a simple ISO burning. In my case I use cds with 870mb, which I can't find around the corner or in large quantities, the loss has to be minimal. There are different recorders, discs of different materials/sizes, it all depends on the quality you want to achieve and where else to use. These are old subjects, nothing new in what I said.

Reply 8 of 8, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gundstaff wrote on 2021-12-17, 17:22:
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-17, 16:29:

A lot of people lose a lot of cds trying to burn Dreamcast games. Mine is old and the games were on GD-Rom discs the recording had to be very good, with cd of prime material, it's not a simple recording to make for the layman, there are advanced settings so it can detect discs above 700mb and others. It's not something accessible for Linux, it's not a simple ISO burning. In my case I use cds with 870mb, which I can't find around the corner or in large quantities, the loss has to be minimal. There are different recorders, discs of different materials/sizes, it all depends on the quality you want to achieve and where else to use. These are old subjects, nothing new in what I said.

If anyone's interested or doesn't know, regarding Dreamcast games, I got one recently for the first time so I could see what I missed at the time, when I only had a PSX. After some research and luckily only a couple tries, this is what I found to work:

1. Get Dreamcast .CDI format games, not .GDI. .CDI is the adapted game version to fit in the 700mb. Many are over 700mb, but that's normal as it is done in "overburn", as you'll see.

2. You don't need high end CDs, what you need is older CDs. CDs are more cheaply made nowadays than in the 2000s due to cost cutting measures, even the high end ones, as most people nowadays buy CDs for data or music purposes, which don't require as much fidelity to read. The Dreamcast is actually not that picky reading games but the PSX for example really demands good media and burning process. Personally I look out in the wild for the same brand CDs that I bought at the time, from Memorex:
https://www.newegg.com/memorex-52x-700mb-cd-r … N82E16817131802
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CFCAXT/single-sided … dvdr-CFCAXT.jpg (looks like this but in CD-R format)

3. For Dreamcast games get Disc Juggler, the free version is more than enough. Then apply the settings as exactly shown below, at a low speed like 8x. It never fails to successfully burn and read Dreamcast games. For PSX just get a good media like the Memorex above and burn and at a low speed with a program of your choice, and you should be good to go. I'm yet to test DiscJuggler for PSX or Sega Saturn as well.

Feel free to pass this information, hope this helps

Attachments