VOGONS

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I would like to remove a P2 processor from the retention mechanism in my SE440BX2 as well as the press fit pins (fasteners) from the base of the retention mechanism to be able to pack the motherboard again. I am unable to figure out any clips at the sides of the retention frame. The retention frame looks like below (with foxconn impression at the sides):

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
616.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
449.47 KiB
Views
File license

Could someone please guide me how to proceed with the above? Thanks!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most of the time there's only two clips, one on each side of the cpu.
from the photos one is already in the retracted position, the one closest to the side of the mainboard, and while the other one isn't retracted, it is clearly no longer engaged by the bracket, the one more to the center of the mainboard.
these cpus tend to be a very tight fit, so be forceful and gentle.

oh yeah, and while some consider it bad, just try to lift on side of the cpu until it gives, then go for the other side, back and forth until the cpu is free from the slot

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HMw3dBT.jpg

Push these two pins towards each other with one hand and with the other hand try to pull the CPU out.

It's always a pain when pulling out these CPUs, but have a little patience and it will eventually come out.

Also, as a last resort, these two pins I told you to push, they just move a locking mechanism just under the pin. Alternatively you could stick a small flat screwdriver and push the locking mechanism and pull one side of the CPU carefully, and then do the other side.

Reply 3 of 7, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all for your replies. Was able to remove the processor. Next challenge is the removal of the retention mechanism. The plastic fasteners holding the base are too tight to be removed. Any easy methods for removal?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 4 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a clear photo of the plastic fasteners, top & bottom ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 7, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-20, 17:00:

a clear photo of the plastic fasteners, top & bottom ?

Below are the ones:

IMG_20211217_164216.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211217_164216.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license

The trickiest part is to lift the white stubs after these are fully pressed down.

Reply 7 of 7, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try carefully wedging a flat-bladed screwdriver under the retention pins and twist CAREFULLY. I don't believe the white pins need to be completely removed, just enough so that the tabs can "fold" inward when you pull up on the retention bracket.